Is a Dana 44HD from a '77 as good/strong as one from a '78-79? Found one cheap. | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is a Dana 44HD from a '77 as good/strong as one from a '78-79? Found one cheap.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Grand Waggy 44. Made a decision about going with a GW 44 axle for my SAS, since it's gonna be a daily driver still and I ive in Pa. I really don't want to deal with state inspection and the cops everytime I pull out of my driveway.

id still go with the d44 man. especially if its high pinion. convert it to 5 lug with make it roughly 65" wms instead of 69". you can always get the deepest backspace wheels you can find and get some stock eb fender flares.

id offer my 76 bronco axle but youre kinda far away. and if you wanted to go 5 lug on the d44hd you found, i might swap the 8 lug outers with you with my 5 lugs if you wanna come down here lol

I found another guy that has a couple Grand Waggy's and contacted him. Hopefully I can go pick up the axle and leafsprings by next weekend.

Xeek, Pa. doesn't allow wheels or tires to stick out passed the body more then 1/2", I live in Pittsburgh which is the strictest city in the state. Plus with full width axles I'd have to get fiberglass 4 or 6" fenders and bedsides to cover them and get a fulll width rear axle to match the front. Have you made anymore progress with your build? Oh I can't use Ex flares since I have a ST.

Ya, if you live out in the boonies in Pa. you can usually get away with it but not where I live.

Man that really sucks about the EB axle. I really thought you were gonna get that one. If you want you can wait a couple weeks and I could give you my thoughts on how the GW LP44 works out. So far on mine I've gone with passenger flat top knuckle, you can get them off a late-model Chevy and a crossover steering kit to help out my steering angles. That's probably the biggest single expense. The crossmember and rear shackle mounts were both custom so right up your alley lol.

I'm going to pick up a '89 Grand Waggy Dana 44 with 7 pack leafsprings all rust free and good enough to bolt in and use if I wanted (would need to regear first), it's from a partial frame off restored Waggy that the guy decided to sell so I contacted him asking if he'd part with the axle and leafsprings.

I'm definetly gonna get a flat top knuckle with high steer brackets. As for the crossmember and shackle mounts will probably be custom fabbed by me. Where's the updated pictures of yours?

I decided to hold off on high steer for now as it really doesn't get me anything in the way of clearance. As it sits the bottom of the axle tube will be lower than the tie rod so I figured it was ok for at least a little while. I got an aftermarket one so that if I decide to go high steer it already has the holes tapped. I'll throw some more recent pics up on my thread. Unfortunately I was too busy drooling over everything and checking heights, etc that I didn't take many.

Definetly take detailed pictures and post measurements of the brackets if possible so I can have more detailed info for references for my build. I'm drooling over a set of 16.5" double bead lock H1 wheels with 37x12.5x16.5 H1 Army surplus tires (6 of them with 3/4 tread for $1,000). Damn good deal, their 6 bolt so I'd be set on wheels and tires with two matching spares. Hopefully their still for sale when I get the cash together.

Damn thats a steal!!

I'll definitely take measurements and pictures. When it's all said and done I'll get an SAS thread going. I just wanted to wait to get it straightened out so that there isnt a clutter at the beginning.

My brother in law ran those and his thoughts were that they were great on road because of wear life and cheap but they sucked on the rocks.

Really, I've heard that from other people too, no sidewall cleats and basic tread pattern doesn't really do good on rocks. I may just see if he'll sell me the double beadlock wheels and get different tires but for the price it's well worth it, I know plenty of people looking for these tires.

Sip them would bbe decent road/snow tires. Thick sidewalls, but they arent steel belted so they tear easy.

Are you getting 6 h1s? Do you know if theyre trailworthfab ones? Four of those i was quoted $860 shipped. Good damn deal! Id just sell the tires lol

It's official, I now am a proud owner of a Dana 44 from a '89 Grand Waggy. It was originally from Texas, the guy took the body off the chassis and rebuilt the complete chassis, suspension and steering so all I need to do is regear gear it, install greasable u-joints and get a high steer flat top passenger side knuckle. I'll be collecting parts and hopefully will have everything needed for the swap as well as a beater to drive around while it's under the knife.

3Fc3I43Hb5I25G65Had225cad8465ce561e5c.jpg

IMG_1566.jpg

IMG_1565.jpg

IMG_1563.jpg

I'm looking forward to seeing the build start. I'd love to stop past for a day of wrenching during the summer.

That'd be cool. I'll probably end up doing the swap in my driveway but will see if there's any room in my custom truck clubs garage since there's two car lifts in it (would make it so much easier).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's one clean axle. I have yet to clean it all up. My timeline was shifted forward several months without much notice. I can't wait to see you starting up on your build. We'll have to hit up Raushe Creek with a bunch of guys sometime

Back