• Register Today It's free!

Is Amber DRLs are OK for Canada?

dolph2709

Reaction score
City, State
Niagara Falls, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer Sport 2014
Just got my brand new Explorer Sport 2014 in NY and exported it to Ontario, Canada yesterday. I asked US dealer to switch on DRL (Day Running Lights). And just notices that only Amber lights working as DRLs. Does anybody know if this will be enough to comply with Canadian law?
I was kinda expected low beam to work as DRL.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Canada DRL's

Dolph, found this. A lot of specs listed at Transport Canada Standard, but "yellow" is definitely acceptable. I've attached the link for your reading pleasure.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/acts-regulations/regulations-crc-c1038-sch-iv-108.htm

(44) Every passenger car, multi-purpose passenger vehicle, truck, bus and three-wheeled vehicle shall be equipped with two daytime running lamps or, if the daytime running lamps are optically combined with the upper beams of the headlamps, with two or four daytime running lamps.

(45) A daytime running lamp shall be white, yellow or white to yellow, in accordance with sections 3.1.3, 3.1.2 or 3.1.3.1, respectively, of SAE Standard J578, Color Specification (May 1988).

Regards,

Steve

Just got my brand new Explorer Sport 2014 in NY and exported it to Ontario, Canada yesterday. I asked US dealer to switch on DRL (Day Running Lights). And just notices that only Amber lights working as DRLs. Does anybody know if this will be enough to comply with Canadian law?
I was kinda expected low beam to work as DRL.

Thanks!
ALL Canadian Limiteds have the amber DRL since they come equipped with HID headlamps. Only the Base, XLT and Sport have the DRL on the regular headlamps here.

Peter

How did you get a brand new US vehicle into Canuckastan?.....I tried no go.

I was told if you register it in Canada they will penalize the US dealership the difference between US/Canada MSRP.

Maybe US registration?

It is illegal for all US dealers not to sell vehicles to Canadians. (Violation of NAFTA agreement). But who cares, they have a "guideline" from manufacturer not to sell. And nobody from Canadian side really want to deal with that. Also some manufacturers trying to prevent over the border sales by canceling or limiting the warranty.
Anyways looks like in case of Ford it is up to dealership to decide. I bought my car from Steve Baldo Ford in Niagara Falls, NY (10 minutes from the Rainbow bridge). They not only sold it to me, but they know all the drills on how to export it and helping in the process.

BTW: I've just passed RIV inspection (so I can confirm that Amber lights is good as DRL in Canada). Thank you, sterry05, I was holding a printed page from Transport Canada with me, just in case.

How did you get a brand new US vehicle into Canuckastan?.....I tried no go.

I was told if you register it in Canada they will penalize the US dealership the difference between US/Canada MSRP.

Maybe US registration?

HELLO Give us an idea as to your savings if any

Back