Is buying under MSRP possible on the Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is buying under MSRP possible on the Explorer?

donm527

Reaction score
City, State
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer XLT
Hi,

New here. Thinking of the 2011 Explorer. Like the styling and just test drove one today and very quiet and smooth ride. Very solid feel. I like it.

But the dealer here in S. Florida told me its a hot car... they get a couple in and they are gone... and I am inclined to believe him. But wondering if this makes it difficult to get under sticker. I asked and I think he said he was willing to knock something less than $1k.

I mean if it were a new Boss Mustang then I'd give in that under MSRP is unlikely. truecar.com says sticker price $37k, average paid is $34,620.

So I was hoping I can ask here, if not exact amounts, approx. how much off sticker some got their's for. I was really hoping closer to invoice.

I hate negotiating because I hate when they look at you with this look that I'm taking food from their family. But it goes both ways :)

Thanks in advance.

Don

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, lots of folks bought below, at or near invoice. It is in fact a hot car but I was able to quickly weed out the dealers that wouldn't discuss invoice through my local warehouse club. If you belong to a BJ's Sam's Costco many of them have car buying programs where they partner with local dealerships - the deal is they sell 500-1000k over total invoice. There was no negotiation and I was happy to agree with those terms. The dealer has been fantastic!

Good luck,
Kim

Should be able to get at or near invoice.

Go to truecar.com. Used this for my Limited.

I paid slightly over ($200ish) invoice for mine, but they gave me a REALLY good price on my trade, so I took it an ran....FAST!!!!

I negotiated for approximately the invoice price after $1500 in rebates. I just received my $750 brochure coupon which I'm hoping the dealer will accept when the X comes in.

I just purchased a Kona Blue Limited at invoice-holdback-$500 FCB-750 coupon. I think that is how it came out. Took less than 3 hours to do the deal and so far I am loving it. The local dealer is only offering orders at MSRP.
Good luck,

Thought I would add that I did check the Costco price and it was nowhere close to what the deal turned out. I also got two detailing sessions and two tanks of gas. Have to go back tomorrow to pick the manuals, additional fob, mats, etc and the dealer orientation session.

Jack

I negotiated out my XLT for 250 below invoice and am still receiving the 1750 in rebates as well. I used the Bank of America site for the intial pricing and lead generation, and then played the 3 dealers against each other to see who wanted my business most. Took about 10 emails to have the price ironed out.

There are thousands of ford dealers out there. Just keep asking and one will give you the price you want.

I think you need to be happy with whatever deal you make. There are dealers that refuse to sell a car at invoice especially an Explorer. Every business has margin they can work within, and dealers aren't any different. Some have big places, some have small, some have family members, some don't, some have snazzy shirts and coats, and some don't.

You can put a lot of time into negotiations to save 500-1000 or whatever. There are many factors to paying more than just invoice.

You also get people that embellish on the deal they actually made, don't believe everything you read on this forum.

I went to Zag.com and configured a car with American Express Pricing, and then the dealers contacted me. Invoice - rebates (AQHA, Brochure, and public incentive) and it is proven on the website. I am fine with the price I will pay.

Good luck

I paid $75 over invoice with no doc/prep/paperwork fees. It was $75 over invoice out the door. The dealership I bought from is a "no negotiation" dealership.. The price they write on the door is the price you pay. So basically all of their explorers are selling for under $100 over invoice out the door.

The price did not include rebates either so I got the rebates taken off as well. Great dealership to deal with.

if you go on true car and build the exact car it will match the sticker and give you factory invoice and dealer cost... I have always used this and paid a few hundred more than DEALER cost, not factory invoice.. so when you guys say invoice which are you talking about?

Thanks everyone... a lot to think about.

I like to read that many have gotten close to invoice so it gives me hope that the dealership will negotiate. I think the other Ford dealerships close by (some) are all connected (Maroone) so they may stick to their price knowing that.

I like the idea of checking COSTCO or BofA so that is an option of letting them find me the best price if I can't get close to it.

I am willing to put as much as $10k down to get my payments lower so hope they would consider that? I heard the current rebate is only $500 compared to $1000 last month... but I haven't heard of a $750 brochure coupon. Is it still available? I'm hoping if they do give me invoice that they wont say that their offer includes the rebates factored in.

Anyways... thanks for giving my things to think about. I am thinking I want to make a decision and purchase within 30 days. Hope to be joining you guys as owners. :)

I worked at a Ford dealer for about 6 months when I first moved back to the East Coast so I know how things work.

I felt paying $1,200 over invoice for a near $50,000 in high demand car was fair price. That included my trade which I think I got a fair deal on also. I think I might have gotten more, but they also could have taken exception with a number of things and given me less.

Thanks everyone... a lot to think about.

I like to read that many have gotten close to invoice so it gives me hope that the dealership will negotiate. I think the other Ford dealerships close by (some) are all connected (Maroone) so they may stick to their price knowing that.

I like the idea of checking COSTCO or BofA so that is an option of letting them find me the best price if I can't get close to it.

I am willing to put as much as $10k down to get my payments lower so hope they would consider that? I heard the current rebate is only $500 compared to $1000 last month... but I haven't heard of a $750 brochure coupon. Is it still available? I'm hoping if they do give me invoice that they wont say that their offer includes the rebates factored in.

Anyways... thanks for giving my things to think about. I am thinking I want to make a decision and purchase within 30 days. Hope to be joining you guys as owners. :)

I had requested two brochures and about 3 days before I went down to look at the rig it showed in the mail stating it was good until 5/31. The dealership I went with does only 120 cars a month and they sold 7 cars the afternoon I was there, who knows what they did before I got there. I am sure people do embelish but who really cares. I had to work to get the deal but they wanted to sell me the car, the only one they had. I am happy with what I got and I did not want to order one just because of the delivery hassle. I got more car than I wanted, but the wife is happy that is what counts to me.

Jack

My guy I talked to in West Palm... He was just talking about knocking a little of MSRP! I had looked truecar before talking to him so I was kinda shocked but I didnt say anything because I didn't know if that was the current rate though cause they all say they can't keep them in stock.

Honestly if I had not posted here... I may have thought it a good deal and took it cause 'they are so hard to keep on the lots' and I don't like to argue prices and the acts they go thru like I am robbing them. but I am going to try to see if I can't get closer to invoice. I don't mind people making a little money off me if they are cool.

Thanks

if you go on true car and build the exact car it will match the sticker and give you factory invoice and dealer cost... I have always used this and paid a few hundred more than DEALER cost, not factory invoice.. so when you guys say invoice which are you talking about?

Invoice, not dealer cost. Dealer cost is invoice minus the 3% holdback Ford pays the dealer off MSRP. Mine ended up being about $1,500 for a holdback.

So they made $1,500 plus the $75 over invoice.

I'm not going to try to beat up a dealer for their holdback. Most will not even discuss holdback or negotiate into that. They do have to make some money to stay in business. But when I buy vehicles, I pay very close to invoice or I walk and go to another dealer.

You and your dealership wouldn't happen to be in S. Florida eh? :)
If anyone has a salesperson down here they can recommend that would be cool too.

I paid $75 over invoice with no doc/prep/paperwork fees. It was $75 over invoice out the door. The dealership I bought from is a "no negotiation" dealership.. The price they write on the door is the price you pay. So basically all of their explorers are selling for under $100 over invoice out the door.

The price did not include rebates either so I got the rebates taken off as well. Great dealership to deal with.

You and your dealership wouldn't happen to be in S. Florida eh? :)
If anyone has a salesperson down here they can recommend that would be cool too.

Not sure if you followed my ESP posts but the finance manager who sells ESP's $100 over cost will order an explorer for anyone $100 over his cost and drop ship it. You will have to pay a prep fee to your local dealer as they will be the one to receive it and prep it for you.

Not sure if it's worth it to you.. depends on the pricing your local dealers offer.

But if your dealers aren't budging much, to pay $100 over invoice and maybe $200 to your local dealer for prep isn't too bad to me.

I am open to all options if it saves $$$ :)
I'll have to look for that post. Thx.

Not sure if you followed my ESP posts but the finance manager who sells ESP's $100 over cost will order an explorer for anyone $100 over his cost and drop ship it. You will have to pay a prep fee to your local dealer as they will be the one to receive it and prep it for you.

Not sure if it's worth it to you.. depends on the pricing your local dealers offer.

But if your dealers aren't budging much, to pay $100 over invoice and maybe $200 to your local dealer for prep isn't too bad to me.

ok so dealer hold back is also listed on true car, and that is part of the dealer cost.... I have always used the dealer cost, and added a few hundred bucks... and that alwasy works... bring it in with you. Heck true car will even give you dealer names who will sell at those prices. Bottom line, you can get deals on ANY vehicle if you come in with data and educated.... has always worked for me... and worth a try. Lots of dealers around, and one will sell you what you want at the price you want. They are in it to make money, and you are in it to save money!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok so dealer hold back is also listed on true car, and that is part of the dealer cost.... I have always used the dealer cost, and added a few hundred bucks... and that alwasy works... bring it in with you. Heck true car will even give you dealer names who will sell at those prices. Bottom line, you can get deals on ANY vehicle if you come in with data and educated.... has always worked for me... and worth a try. Lots of dealers around, and one will sell you what you want at the price you want. They are in it to make money, and you are in it to save money!

Sir Francis Bacon said "Knowledge is power." If they are so high and mighty they may not be a dealership you want to deal with. I emailed about 20 dealers asking about pricing before 3 responded that they would order at invoice and one said they had one in stock and come and look. You just have to find one that fits.

Sorry may have been the wrong thread!!!!!
Jack

Back