Is it possible a 2002 sport trac came with drums? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is it possible a 2002 sport trac came with drums?

longracing25

Reaction score
City, State
pilot grove
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 sport trac
I have a 02 sport trac. Im in process of getting salvage yard rearend, gear whines in my other. Dont have money for rebuild. My 02 has drum brakes,...but i just read in 02 they switched to disc. Did ANY of the 02's come with drums? A second question, will a 4x4 axle swap into a 2wd? Both are same gear,...not that it matters.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's is possible that you have an early 02. Ford does their production changes according to fiscal year and this means changes are put into effect around July. As seen with the change of 7.3l to 6.0l power stroke. And yes you should be able to bolt in a 4x4 rear as ford used the same exact frames for 4 and 2 wheel drive at the time your rig was built. You can literally bolt in a 4x4 system with ease by changing transmission and adding a tcase

It's is possible that you have an early 02. Ford does their production changes according to fiscal year and this means changes are put into effect around July. As seen with the change of 7.3l to 6.0l power stroke. And yes you should be able to bolt in a 4x4 rear as ford used the same exact frames for 4 and 2 wheel drive at the time your rig was built. You can literally bolt in a 4x4 system with ease by changing transmission and adding a tcase
And spindles and an axle.

I’d surely swap in a disc rear end.

My '02 has drum brakes

I dont think the sport and sport trac changed to discs until 2004.........................maybe mid 2003. All the 2002 I have seen have drums

Back