is it possible to install a 7.2" lcd w/sunroof model? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

is it possible to install a 7.2" lcd w/sunroof model?

lwrdrhvn

Reaction score
City, State
vista, ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 xlt
installed!! pic update.. :is it possible to install a 7.2" lcd w/sunroof model?

have a 99 ford expl xlt... 4dr... i want to install an lcd overhead, not on seats... is it possible if my car has a sunroof?? any pics.... thx...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

custom fiberglass pod whre the temperature read out si would work for that size.

a drop down would work behing the sunroof depending on manufacturer.

are you also trying to decide which type of unit to use?

which seats do you want to have be able to view it?

I think he wants to put it in the rear, and its hard to mount it with the sunroof that slides into the celing..

Originally posted by expo5.0
custom fiberglass pod whre the temperature read out si would work for that size.

a drop down would work behing the sunroof depending on manufacturer.

are you also trying to decide which type of unit to use?

which seats do you want to have be able to view it?

i just got this 7.2 inch lcd monitor... i don't know what noname brand it is but quality isn't my perogative right now... the bock says pyleaudio... it comes with a mounting bracket that swivels... i want the rear passengers to view it.. my daughter and little sister... its a 99 ford explorer with sunroof... leather interior... actually my uncle does headliners for his upholstery job... is it just take out the headliner and install it? prob not... also... is there some kind of mold i can use to cover the housing?? thx...

is it a drop down type folding monitor? like it folds out of a base?

is it a drop down type folding monitor? like it folds out of a base?

no, i don't think so... its just a monitor with no base... it can be mounted on a headrest but i don't want to do that seing that it will only be available for one passenger... i told my wife she started something that she might not want me to get into... i already own every electronic gadget for the home... now here come's the auto stuff...

its this monitor...monitor

there is no real easy way to put that in there- the best thing to do would be to either make some kind of a pod that holds it and comes down out of the headliner or to build something that holds it on the back of your center console like coming out where the stock radio controls are.

You may just want to pick up a different unit

there is no real easy way to put that in there- the best thing to do would be to either make some kind of a pod that holds it and comes down out of the headliner or to build something that holds it on the back of your center console like coming out where the stock radio controls are.

You may just want to pick up a different unit

i guess i will just have to get dual monitors of these things... so i can have one in each headrest... although my seats don't have the separate headrest but one full unit... i guess that will be easiest though... thx for the suggestions...

yeah, at that price you can do that.

its not the easiest thing in the world to do in an explorer though because of the no headrest thing- but i've seen it done.

if you really are gonna go that route a good friend of mine did it also and i can maybe help you out.

yeah, at that price you can do that.

its not the easiest thing in the world to do in an explorer though because of the no headrest thing- but i've seen it done.

if you really are gonna go that route a good friend of mine did it also and i can maybe help you out.

thanks... actually my uncle upholsters cars for a living... so cutting away at the headrest with the proper bracket will probably not be a challenge for him seeing as he can customize the seat back for me... as long as i can find the right way to secure it i think it will work...

well.. its done...

i installed my cheapo lcd behind the sunroof.... it was veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyy EASY! just screwed it in.... actually pre-drilled through the headliner and found that the sunroof has an extra steel protection plate that gives me enough support and enough room to not bother the movement of the sunroof when i installed this thing... like i said... it was very easy.
mount
lcd
lcd 2

like i said before... was not looking for anything fancy... just for the kid in the back... and it works like a charm... i even used the mount included in the lcd... it is for standing on a desk or whatever but it works inverted too... added a small piece of plywood to help support the flimsy material...

for an amateur i think it looks good... what do you think?

hmmm... i don't think the pictures will show... hmmmm... i'll try again...

Says pictures no longer exist, and we deleted by owner. Put them on cardomain.com, and then show them. Oh also, I had to register to even get that far. ;(

Sounds like things went swell though.

that looks great!

very well done

Back