Is it possible to install a Shelby engine with a 4wd system? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is it possible to install a Shelby engine with a 4wd system?

How about stroker kit for 4.6 to take it to 5.0, with better ported heads. It would be just basic engine swap, maybe bigger injectors, but no electronic mess:

http://www.brenspeed.com/m-6009-a46x.html

And there are probably other suppliers.

Like others have said, wiring would be a nightmare, especially with the modern CAN-bus stuff.

If you HAVE to have a 5 liter, then a 5.0 + transmission + transfer case from an F150, along with the gauge cluster and whatever else necessary from the dash, may be a better approach.

In the end, you gotta ask yourself if all the cost + time is worth it on our aging trucks. That, and also the fact that a 5.0 is not that big of an upgrade from the 4.6 (assuming that's what you have). 292 hp to 360 hp is a noticeable jump, but won't be enough to make you grin every time you punch it.

I dont know why the wiring would be nightmare, the seller on ebay advertise it works with 2006-2011 mustangs. So thats why I thought it might work with explorer as well. Have you looked at link I provided the engine is similar design to v8 2006-2010 explorer.

I dont know why the wiring would be nightmare, the seller on ebay advertise it works with 2006-2011 mustangs. So thats why I thought it might work with explorer as well. Have you looked at link I provided the engine is similar design to v8 2006-2010 explorer.

If you're talking about the Ebay link, then I wouldn't call a Coyote 5.0 similar to the 4.6 3V from Explorers and Mustang. They share almost nothing in common.

Regardless, I'm not worried about the engine itself, but what other parts of the CHASSIS the Mustang and Explorer share. These days just about everything from Air bags to your turn signals to the RSC active handling system route through the ECU.

If you put an engine that won't talk your your existing ECU, then you may need to use a donor car's ECU as well, which will be messy with the Explorer's chassis. IF, big if, you can find a stand alone ECU that can run the Coyote, and you pair that up without removing your current ECU, then perhaps it's not so bad.

In the end, again, is it worth the time and effort? If it is, then sure, it might be a fun project. For myself, the Explorer is the slowest thing I own, and all that effort on an old truck is simply not justified. I might as well as trade it in for a used Jeep SRT-8 and come out well ahead...

on a new car those if you upgrade the engine, you void the warranty. So I am looking at the pros/cons

Back