Is it the fuel pump and which one

mfitz725

03 EB 4x4 4.6l making it thru in NC
Reaction score
City, State
Albemarle NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Eddie Bauer 4.6L 4x4
My 99 Limited 4.0LSOHC doesn't start on the first cold try. After reading some previous threads I tried cycling the key to the on position several times and then it would start. Sometimes when driving I experience some hesitation and a couple of times I've put my foot to the floor and no no power for several seconds. At 160k I assume it's the fuel pump and hope someone can confirm.

Also on previous threads a Bosch 69128 or 69134 pump was indicated as replacement. Everywhere I've looked says these pumps are not compatible with the Explorer and I was hoping to confirm that one of these two were OK before I pull a fuel tank for replacement. Thanks in advance for your input.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 99 Limited 4.0LSOHC doesn't start on the first cold try. After reading some previous threads I tried cycling the key to the on position several times and then it would start. Sometimes when driving I experience some hesitation and a couple of times I've put my foot to the floor and no no power for several seconds. At 160k I assume it's the fuel pump and hope someone can confirm.

Also on previous threads a Bosch 69128 or 69134 pump was indicated as replacement. Everywhere I've looked says these pumps are not compatible with the Explorer and I was hoping to confirm that one of these two were OK before I pull a fuel tank for replacement. Thanks in advance for your input.

I've installed the Bosch 69128 fuel pump in 6 Explorers/Mountaineers. All my OE pumps started giving me trouble at between 160,000-175,000 miles. Mine were all 2000's and 2001's (which use the return-less style fuel systems). IDK whether the '99 was a return or return-less system, which might make a difference, but in my research I did see where the Bosch 69128 was not shown for the Explorer, but was shown for the Mountaineer. This made no sense to me, as the vehicles are mechanically identical. So I called the Bosch automotive help line and talked to a technician. He told me that the 69128 would fit the Explorer. When I asked why I was seeing it only listed for the Mountaineer he could only say the the pumps were the same but that some of the other pieces that come with the pump might be different between the Ex and Monty. I did not find this to be the case.

If you want to make sure you buy the right pump I suggest you call Bosch. BTW, I was very happy with the 69128 pump kit in all of my vehicles. You will not need all the pieces the kit comes with, specifically all the large o-rings and one of the pump insulators, but everything else it comes with fit perfectly. Don't forget you'll also need a strainer sock and a new fuel filter.

I've installed the Bosch 69128 fuel pump in 6 Explorers/Mountaineers. Mine were all 2000's and 2001's (which use the return-less style fuel systems. IDK whether the '99 was a return or return-less system, but in my research I did see where the Bosch 69128 was not shown for the Explorer, but was shown for the Mountaineer. This made no sense to me, so I called the Bosch automotive help line and talked to a technician. He told me that the 69128 would fit the Explorer. When I asked why I was seeing it only listed for the Mountaineer he could only say the the pumps were the same but that some of the other pieces that come with the pump might be different between the Ex and Monty. I did not find this to be the case.

If you want to make sure you buy the right pump I suggest you call Bosch. BTW, I was very happy with the 69128 pump kit in all of my vehicles.
Thanks Koda that's a place to start from. The previous threads were not mentioning specific year models just listed under the stock 95-01 category so I not sure what they were referencing. I've found mention of Lincoln products for this pump as well. You wouldn't think this has to be so darn confusing. Plus I've got to be sure as I'm on a limited budget. This will be my first time trying to drop a tank out of a vehicle. I found someone in the past to replace the sending unit in my 94 when I had it for a very reasonable price but this time I'm on my own.

@mfitz725 I've edited my original response, so you may want to re-read it. Many Ford vehicles will use the same fuel pump for a range of model years. I bought my Bosch fuel pumps off eBay and paid around $60 w/free shipping. Changing the pump is not that hard to do. After having done this job 6 times now, I find I can change a pump in around 90 mins, but I'm thinking I should never have to do this job again.

If you'd like advice on changing the pump, just ask.

@mfitz725 I've edited my original response, so you may want to re-read it. Many Ford vehicles will use the same fuel pump for a range of model years. I bought my Bosch fuel pumps off eBay and paid around $60 w/free shipping. Changing the pump is not that hard to do. After having done this job 6 times now, I find I can change a pump in around 90 mins, but I'm thinking I should never have to do this job again.
I've found one on Amazon for $55 with free shipping so five bucks saved is good for me. Thanks again for your response.

The 99 is the same as a 2000 or 2001, I've got a 99 4.0 SOHC sitting in the shed that has the same rail and injectors as my 2001.

@mfitz725 The biggest piece of advice I can give you is to not bother disconnecting the fuel line from the pump assembly. It's a major PITA and not necessary. Just drape the assembly over the leaf spring after removing it from the tank. Another thing I've learned is to not allow the front of the tank to drop. I remove the 2 front bolts and wire the front of the tank up to work like a hinge. This makes reinstalling the tank much easier.

@mfitz725 The biggest piece of advice I can give you is to not bother disconnecting the fuel line from the pump assembly. It's a major PITA and not necessary. Just drape the assembly over the leaf spring after removing it from the tank. Another thing I've learned is to not allow the front of the tank to drop. I remove the 2 front bolts and wire the front of the tank up to work like a hinge. This makes reinstalling the tank much easier.

Yes I had read about not disconnecting the fuel lines but not dropping the front of the tank is very helpful info. I have to keep telling myself that I can do this. I'm sure it just seems more daunting than it really is.

Yes I had read about not disconnecting the fuel lines but not dropping the front of the tank is very helpful info. I have to keep telling myself that I can do this. I'm sure it just seems more daunting than it really is.

The first time you do it it seems complicated, but it's not. You'll find the vent line that goes to the evap canister can be tricky to pull off the top of the tank. It's has a strange plastic clip that you need to squeeze out-of-round to get it to release. If you break the clip, I've found it is not a big deal, as there's nothing that seems to try to push the line off the connection under normal conditions.

I second what Koda said about dropping the tank, I let that happen with half a tank on my 2001, let it hinge.

I second what Koda said about dropping the tank, I let that happen with half a tank on my 2001, let it hinge.
Well luckily it's just in its early stages of going out so I'll have the opportunity to drive it down to almost empty before starting the process. It's not like I'm dead in the water right now, but I don't want to end up that way if you know what I mean.

@mfitz725 As your vehicle does still run & drive, I'd run the tank as empty as possible (until the "check gages" light or "low fuel" light comes on). While it is possible to drop the tank with fuel in it, it's much more manageable with just a gallon or two in it. When necessary I siphon as much fuel out as I can.

Back