• Register Today It's free!

Is it time to change?

RedEB

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
I have been thinking for a while (hard to believe, I know ;) ) and I am still undecided as to whether I should buy a 2nd gen sport in lieu of my 92 Eddie. My 92 is running superbly, no transmission rebuilds or problems, rebuilt upper end (tightened lower manifold, replaced lower and upper gasket, replaced starter, cleaned fuel injectors, all parts boiled, etc...) and new paint job a while back because it was starting to rust. It looks and runs absolutely perfect, with the exception of the brakes, and it nearly gets 19-20 mpg consistently. The only reason why I am considering swapping to a 97+ sport is because:
1.) I love the shorter wheelbase
2.) Newer technology, probably going to be more reliable
3.) SOHC...more power, less weight (assuming the timing chain problem has been rectified)
4.) I'm moving up to Oregon for dental school so maintenance might be a problem since I can't do my own oil changes or engine overhauls anymore :rolleyes: ...or transmission problems
What do you guys think? I almost bought a 97 Sport 4WD with the SOHC and 82,000 miles for 4500 but stopped short because it went a little too high for my liking (4800). These are all at auctions so they go really cheap and these are all private party vehicles, not repos.

Back