• Register Today It's free!

Should I sell?

RedEB

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
Ok guys, here is a question that I have been debating with myself for a couple of days. I have been looking for a newer X 1997 or above and I have found a golden X that looks to be in excellent shape. It has 106K miles, SOHC, and the engine is literally so smooth and refined, it passed the water ripple test...even the previous owner was surprised ;) . Anyway, I have a somewhat tricked out '92 red EB explorer (who would have thought with a name like mine? :rolleyes: ) but I am really looking for a reliable vehicle to last me through dental school. Is this the one or should I wait? I have heard about 97 SOHCs sometimes going bad with the timing chain and all, but this engine hasn't had any work done and it sounds absolutely pristine not to mention delivers tons more power than my 92. Suggestions??

If its had the recall work done on the timing components, it should be fine. If its in as good of shape as you said and he's asking for 7 grand or less, take it. I wouldn't pay more then 6500 for it though; there's too many X's out there to pay more then that.

If I were still in college, I'd stick with the 92 X unless you fear something major is going to break any time soon. You could end up sinking a lot of money into replacement parts on a 97 with 106k miles. That's about the time when things like ball joints, tie rod ends, O2 sensors, etc can start going bad. If the guy kept a good maintenence history, I wouldn't be so worried.

He's only asking 5700 obo and he seem willing to negotiate. He's trying to sell quickly because he's buying an '04 EB but he has performed regular maintenance on the vehicle. I heard the engine and it sounds smooth as a baby's behind, about when do the SOCH timing chains begin to rattle or show signs of wear. I would think that a SOCH that has exceeded a decent amount of mileage without symptoms would relatively clear, or is this a wrong assumption?
My '92 has been a great truck, I'm just a little gun shy about certain things with an emphasis on the transmission (original at 136K) and also my brakes. I keep losing brake fluid but I haven't found the source. I'm not selling it solely on those two reasons, but I am so accustomed to being able to do my own car work (I bring it to my parent's house to work on it ;) ), I just don't want to be stuck in Oregon without a place to do car work should something give on me. I would think that the 97 would probably be a bit more dependable and less-maintenance prone.
All in all, I could probably buy that 94 for 5400 and sell mine (already found a buyer) for about 4500, so it would cost me $900 for the whole deal (minus tax, registration, tune-up...)

Back