Is My Explorer "Totaled"? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is My Explorer "Totaled"?

Earlier today my wife wrecked our 2004 Ford Explorer when a tire blew and threw the car into the center median while traveling at 75mph. No injuries. I'm wondering whether my insurance company will consider it totaled.

Here is the damage:

- Front bumper scratches
- Front Passenger quarter panel damaged
- Passenger front door damaged
- Passenger read door damaged
- Rear quarter panel damaged
- Back bumper destroyed
- Passenger far rear window busted out
- Engine starts but does not rev when gas pedal is pressed
- Passenger side mirror ripped off
- Medal frame around front windshield damaged
- Hood scratches (possibly buffed out??)
- Front passenger rim bent

The vehicle struck a cable fence in the center divide of the highway.

The reason I am interested is that I owe $15K on the vehicle but thing it is worth far less. I have GAP insurance that will pay off the loan if it is deemed totaled. I'm praying for some good news.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Earlier today my wife wrecked our 2004 Ford Explorer when a tire blew and threw the car into the center median while traveling at 75mph. No injuries. I'm wondering whether my insurance company will consider it totaled.

Here is the damage:

- Front bumper scratches
- Front Passenger quarter panel damaged
- Passenger front door damaged
- Passenger read door damaged
- Rear quarter panel damaged
- Back bumper destroyed
- Passenger far rear window busted out
- Engine starts but does not rev when gas pedal is pressed
- Passenger side mirror ripped off
- Medal frame around front windshield damaged
- Hood scratches (possibly buffed out??)
- Front passenger rim bent

The vehicle struck a cable fence in the center divide of the highway.

The reason I am interested is that I owe $15K on the vehicle but thing it is worth far less. I have GAP insurance that will pay off the loan if it is deemed totaled. I'm praying for some good news.

Probably will be with that much damage.. Usually they total when the damages reach 75% of the value of the vehicle.

At that speed I imagine there is some major suspension damage as well. I'd look for it to be a total like Ben said.

After looking at the pics its gonna be close.. From what I can see you'll definatley need new glass in the rear quarter, paint for the trim, quarter panel may be fixable, the bumper needs some body filler & paint, the fender probably is a replace job, 1 tire & rim possibly, 1 mirror, a pillar, 2 door skins, rear hatch replacement, plus the bumper replacement for the rear.

Best thing to do is to take it to a independant shop before going thru the insurance and obtain some quotes for the repairs.. If its close to 75% of the value of the rig then it'll probably be totalled.

Got to agree with Blee1099. Looks like it's just about there. Is your wife ok ?

Yes, my wife and kids are fine...thank God! :thumbsup:

CarMax gave me a trade-in quote for $5500 for this car. Does anyone know what value the insurance company will give the vehicle?

welcoem and that sux ur x got damaged and thank god your wife is ok as well

Thank God everyone is all right! Off hand, you may not want that vehicle back, even if the insurance company makes it look new again... get a shop that you trust to evaluate the frame and suspension.

I've had an insurance co. give me the shaft on collision damage. They fixed all the cosmetic problems. But there was also frame damage, which their shop claimed to have fixed. The car looked like a new car when I got it back, but you could not keep it in one lane at 65 miles/hour. Before the accident, it would track straight at 100 MPH. The hosers would not make it right, and I ended up selling the car.

After the accident, the engine would not rev when the gas pedal was pressed. Does this mean the transmission is gone? Hopefully it is to add to the damage total. I'm hoping it is totaled because I really do NOT want it back!!

With the value on these things as low as it is, I doubt you will be behind the wheel of that thing ever again.

id say start over with a new X.

The way the tire came apart, it looks like it was ran for a LONG time under inflated...

Ryan

After the accident, the engine would not rev when the gas pedal was pressed. Does this mean the transmission is gone? Hopefully it is to add to the damage total. I'm hoping it is totaled because I really do NOT want it back!!

If you can put it into gear and nothing happens, it could be the shifter cable has broken.

whats the mileage? air bags go off? both things to take into account as far as totaling. doesnt look totaled to me. again, check for frame damage. ive worked at many body shops- seen cars worse than this fixed.

Back