Guestimation: Is my explorer totaled? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Guestimation: Is my explorer totaled?

crashwave

Reaction score
City, State
Jackson NJ/Rochester, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport
So I got rear ended about a month ago which I have another thread around about, have gone back and forth through auto bodys and the insurance, and the second place I took my Explorer to is real good. Anyway they did laser measurements and I have between half an inch to a full inch frame and body shift (damage).

I'll find out this Tuesday if its totaled or not but I'd like to know if this is enough to get the Explorer totaled. It's a '99 Sport. It was hit at 45mph.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

where is the frame damage?

I know Drmoore71 was rearended and his frame was shifted about under the rear seats: totaled. If the damage is anywhere farther from the bumper than 18-20", it's probably "totalled". It may be worth to buy back as salvage though. I know Doug said his never felt right and probably wasn't safe.

Mine's not safe at all. My transfer case exploded on me (WHILE I WAS DRIVING!) two weeks ago, luckily it was under warranty and all, but it cost Ford about $3.7k incl. labor + car rental for a full week.

So, that fixed that, but my frame is still obviously screwed. Everytime I am going slow and taking sharp turns or go over any sort of bump, you can hear my frame shift and it sounds horrendous.

BTW I don't know exactly where it is, but I know it's about at the middle of the frame on the passenger side, I am pretty sure.

One other thing, I'm pretty sure at this point (NOT that I am a "Ford hater" or whatever) that I won't be getting another Explorer after this. I found a '99 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited I'd get from insurance coverage and whatnot that I'd definitely take in a heartbeat.

I have another '99 Explorer, gold, 4 door XLT that is in absolute excellent condition (got it brand new, has 85k miles on it) and I absolutely love it. It's never EVER had problems, and seriously runs as smooth as it did with 15 miles on the odometer.

Frame damage does not nessicarily mean totaled.
It boils down to cost or repair. It depends if that one inch is a sway or a diamond. ( left right or in and out )
Diamond is the worst, a sway not too bad.

Well I guess I'll find out soon enough...

Back