Is my SOHC Salvagable? Or replace? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is my SOHC Salvagable? Or replace?

Glen4X4

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Lewistown, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS
My SOHC has finally gotten worse we were driving yesterday and the chain chatter got alot worse and the oil pressure gauge dropped to nothing and didn't seem to have that great of power so I parked it and called geico and had it towed to my cousins, was in debation of getting another motor I found the guy said he has the paperwork of a Ford Rebuilt SOHC with 80k miles but no truck so can't hear it run for $175.00, or whether the motor is still salvageable, I figured if I replace the tensioners I might as well take the motor out and replace front and back, so what do you all think that's had the SOHC rattles?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think the question is do you like the truck? If so then I would replace the motor with some sort of re-man engine with a warrenty. I was close to the same posstiton you are in with my 99 Sport. My chains were ratteling like crazy and to fix them was going to be about $1500-$2000. My thoughts were that I was going to let the engine grenaide itself then just replace with a rebuilt for about the same cost. The wife had a baby and a 2 door just was not going to cut it so I traded it in for an 05 XLT. To this day I wish I still had my 99. IMO 1000% better then the 05!!

be careful if you lost oil pressure and ran your engine for any amount of time may need to do a more complete rebuild. It is a relatively easy process to pull the engine and replace it (with the right tools). The hardest part for me was getting the bolts out of the manifolds. I ended up having to cut some of them and drill them out. But all and all I had the entire swap done by myself in 2 long working days (I had a deadline). I got my engine from a salvage yard for $1200 with low miles and it's been great.

If time is no object then it would be cheaper to do the rebuild, however you will need some specialized tools. If you need to get the truck working quickly then you may want to check around for a complete engine to swap.

Newer engine

Even if you do all of the work yourself, I don't think you can purchase the parts for less than it would cost for a late model/low mileage engine salvaged from a wrecked vehicle. New gaskets, rings, valves, guides, bearings, chains, tensioners and possible machine work are expensive. I suggest that you make a parts list and then get prices before making your decision. You'll have to pull the engine or the transmission to replace the rear cassette anyway. You could buy a late model Mustang long block V6 as one forum member is doing and use your intake manifolds for compatibility. Before buying a salvaged engine I would want to see it in the doner vehicle and hear it run. I would be hesitant to buy from anyone who is selling a "rebuilt" engine with 80K miles for $175. An SOHC shouldn't need a rebuild that soon and the price is way below the going rate.

I think the question is do you like the truck? If so then I would replace the motor with some sort of re-man engine with a warrenty. I was close to the same posstiton you are in with my 99 Sport. My chains were ratteling like crazy and to fix them was going to be about $1500-$2000. My thoughts were that I was going to let the engine grenaide itself then just replace with a rebuilt for about the same cost. The wife had a baby and a 2 door just was not going to cut it so I traded it in for an 05 XLT. To this day I wish I still had my 99. IMO 1000% better then the 05!!

Curious, what about the 05 don't you like?

Thanks for the advice, time isn't too big of an object but will be limited since have a new baby on the way in January so time maybe limited, so I don't know that I'm going to go the rebuilt route seeings as I should replace a good bit and look a lot over. I was thinking about trying to find a motor 02 and newer since I read on the forum that's when the motors were made better. But a question on that situation, I know our 4X4 SOHC's have the balance shaft for the 4X4 is there any vibrational issues using a 4X2 motor? I had seen a sport with one but I'm not buying something without knowledge of proper operation since this is going to mainly be her truck to drive around.

If you are going to switch motors you don't need the balance shaft motor. It was for use in 4X4 mode in low speed useage from what I have read here. Some have removed the balance shaft and it's related chain. You need to plugs some oil holes if you go this route.

Curious, what about the 05 don't you like?

the 05 is a nice truck but I just liked the 99 better. I think the 99 rode better, it did better in soft sand, and the small "creature comforts" were better. An example: I used the dual sun visors all the time, not there in the 05. I also like the overhead console with the temp display up higher rather than in the dash. When is came to cleaning the inside I liked how I could dissamble the center console and take it to the sink and clean all the crud out of all the compartments, Can't do that with the 05.

One thing I do like about my 05 over the 99 is the engine. I got the 4.6. I was hesitant at first because the mileage but soon found out that it was pretty close. As a matter of fact I CAN get better mileage than my friends with the 4.0 IF I am careful. Its hard with the ponys under there though.

Over all I am pleased with it but I think Ford lost sight of some small things when making the 3rd gen.

Back