is that my TIRE !!!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

is that my TIRE !!!!!

so i was driving home about a week ago from trucks gone wild and about 20 miles form the house i feel a bad vib. in the stearing wheel as i go to pull over as soon as the left front hit the rumble strip i see my tire and brake rotor go flying down the road i think it was b.u.b's ( big ulgy b!(+h ) way of telling me she wasnt happy cause i didnt take her playing in the mud pits
039.jpg

040.jpg

037.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

where are your lugs?

when you put tires on, do you fallow the bad practice of setting the vehicle down before tightening the lugs? i know a lot of people to do this so the wheel doesn't spin.. but they don't tighten properly this way and it leads to this problem. just curious :)

lugs flew off some where and i tighted them in the and on the ground it looked like the lugs just striped right off now to get a new hub but insure. is footing the bill on it so im just waitting to here back form them cause they had it sent to a shop and it looked like the brake calper was rubing the in side of the wheel cause there was a wear line on it and the calper as well im not sure and the guy at the shops not sure i know him well and hes been do shop work for over 20 years and said hes seen this a few times with the way the roads are here in the great stae of la

lugs flew off some where and i tighted them in the and on the ground it looked like the lugs just striped right off now to get a new hub but insure. is footing the bill on it so im just waitting to here back form them cause they had it sent to a shop and it looked like the brake calper was rubing the in side of the wheel cause there was a wear line on it and the calper as well im not sure and the guy at the shops not sure i know him well and hes been do shop work for over 20 years and said hes seen this a few times with the way the roads are here in the great stae of la

called it :)

start a new practice of never, ever tightening lugs with the tire on the ground. have somebody hold the brake or something while you tighten.

called it :)

start a new practice of never, ever tightening lugs with the tire on the ground. have somebody hold the brake or something while you tighten.

Thanks, I can't believe I never realized the error in tightening while on the ground -

Engraved in auto-repair section of brain :D

Glad this didn't end worse!

Thanks, I can't believe I never realized the error in tightening while on the ground -

Engraved in auto-repair section of brain :D

I tighten them on as much as I can before the wheel spins, then i lower the jack just enough so that the tire touches the ground and it doesn't spin. There is basically no weight, that way the lugs can still seat the wheel in tight.

sport97 said:
Glad this didn't end worse!

I tighten them on as much as I can before the wheel spins, then i lower the jack just enough so that the tire touches the ground and it doesn't spin. There is basically no weight, that way the lugs can still seat the wheel in tight.

Same here, how my pops taught me. I guess there's small margin of error then but I'm doing with it with the brake method from now on lol

Same here, how my pops taught me. I guess there's small margin of error then but I'm doing with it with the brake method from now on lol

Yea, I am always alone when I'm doing something like this so I have no one to hit the brakes for me, so I just let the tire barely touch.

an accurate size stick works for the "seat to pedal" trick :D
max

where are your lugs?

when you put tires on, do you fallow the bad practice of setting the vehicle down before tightening the lugs?

I never knew this. good god am I glad I signed into this message board. You guys have already taught me several things I need! Thanks.

I shall start to make changes in how I tighten my tires based on this very thread.:D

Yep have to change how u do it as well old habbit that I was over the years

interestingly, on another automotive forum i read, somebody else had a wheel fall off, turned out he was tightening on the ground too.
interestingly, the popular opinion on that forum was "oh well ive been doing it this way for years therefore its fine".

i guess most of them have been lucky :)

the problem is that the wedge shaped inside of the lug nut binds up against the "female" recess on the rim that it fits into before it centers itself completely on the rim, gets all the way in and tightens properly.

also threads should be kept clean and oiled.

yep and i saw a mess up in my op that im going to edit i put i tighted them in the and on the ground ment to put i tighted them in the air and then on the ground it looked

I usually use my impact while it's in the air and recheck by hands once I lower it. Figure I'm alright with that.

I can't use an impact with my wheels so I drop it on the ground and tighten them after I do my best to tighten them in the air. Guess all that will change...

hate to say it but from that picture lugs weren't tight. if they were over tighten then the lugs would sheered off.

I always tighten as much as I can in the air, with the wheel held from spinning whether it be from the brakes if I have help or holding it with my legs if alone. I always give a few more tugs after setting it on the ground as well. Don't get much out of it on the ground but makes me feel like it's definitely tight. I've checked that method with a torque wrench before and it's at least at 100 ft. lbs. as it clicks without tightening.

ment to update on this it turned out that the threads in side some of the nuts where bad and worked there way lose and it jacked up the rest cause all that could be found at frist was 2 of the nuts so of the others where found back down the road the frist one was about a mile form where i lost the tire and found another one about 5 hund yards form that one and couldnt find the last one

Well, I gotta hand it to you for finding a lug nut a mile away from the incident. Impressive.:thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

actally a guys windshiled found the frist one some one ran over it and it hit his turck but lucky for me me didnt have me pay for it lol he said that he could tell i was having a bad day and when he saw me on the side of the road with no tire he gussed that it was mine lol and we joked about it for abit till the tow turck showed up he told me that hell have his insurance take care of it and it was lucky that now one got hurt cause it went thouh the windshiled on the pass. side

Back