is there springs on the front of a 97 mountaineer? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

is there springs on the front of a 97 mountaineer?

Thanks again she probably won't see any off roading just want her to be solid I'm buying it off my brother and he doesn't maintain his cars the only thing I can say about it is the engine seems to be solid other than the oil pan gasket which from what I've read on other post that will be one job that she goes to a garage for

Sounds like a plan. If you find that jacking up the rear a bit levels out the truck, I'd consider the Monroe Load Leveler shocks for the rear. Search the forum for "gangsta lean" or "sagging springs". This subject has been covered many times and in most cases the Monroe rear coil-over shocks have solved the problem with minimal effort and expense.

As a side note... I once had a classic vehicle that was very low (2 inches) on one side. I was sure the problem was that the original front coil spring had sagged. I replaced the front springs (at considerable cost and effort) and to my dismay it made no difference. I ended up adding a 2" raising/lowering block between the rear axle and leaf spring to solve the problem. An easy fix at a cost of about $15.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like a plan. If you find that jacking up the rear a bit levels out the truck, I'd consider the Monroe Load Leveler shocks for the rear. Search the forum for "gangsta lean" or "sagging springs". This subject has been covered many times and in most cases the Monroe rear coil-over shocks have solved the problem with minimal effort and expense.

As a side note... I once had a classic vehicle that was very low (2 inches) on one side. I was sure the problem was that the original front coil spring had sagged. I replaced the front springs (at considerable cost and effort) and to my dismay it made no difference. I ended up adding a 2" raising/lowering block between the rear axle and leaf spring to solve the problem. An easy fix at a cost of about $15.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.
Thanks for the advice and I surely will let y'all know how it goes

I highly suggest the monroe rear coil springs/shocks along with this rear stabilizer bar kit: http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/4.5153
You will reuse your old stabilizer bar links (old ones can be easily drilled(make a few holes and work it out), pressed or burnt out). Many aftermarket kits work like that.

Ford used a 3/4" stabilizer rear bar to give the truck comfort vs better handling. These poly bushings maximize the torsion in the bar. If your bushings are original they are probably completely worn.

The monroes will lift sagging springs and since they are designed for heavy loads they reduce body roll by keeping the truck level.

The truck feels much safer - one thing I noticed that I can drive in high winds with no issues whatsoever. It used to be all over the road in crosswinds. I used ES sway bushings for the front too.

While sway bars don't have anything to do with your truck while sitting stopped, they play a huge roll in keeping it level (side-to-side) while corning. This is especially important with top heavy vehicles like Explorers and other similar SUV's. The use of poly bushings in the end-link and sway bar bushings really improves the feel when driving. The trade off is the ride will be a bit firmer/rougher. The same is true with installing firmer shocks. They both improve handling at the cost of providing a somewhat rougher ride. Personally I'd trade the ride for better handling. Auto manufacturers use softer shocks and suspension bushings in order to provide the most comfortable ride possible. The OE parts are usually made of rubber, which degrade over time. Poly bushing don't degrade, though they can be squeaky. I recently installed poly body mount bushings on my '01 ST and it made a huge (positive) difference in the ride and feel of the truck. Everything is a compromise. Bias it to the way you drive and a critical measurement (the thickness of your wallet).

While sway bars don't have anything to do with your truck while sitting stopped, they play a huge roll in keeping it level (side-to-side) while corning. This is especially important with top heavy vehicles like Explorers and other similar SUV's. The use of poly bushings in the end-link and sway bar bushings really improves the feel when driving. The trade off is the ride will be a bit firmer/rougher. The same is true with installing firmer shocks. They both improve handling at the cost of providing a somewhat rougher ride. Personally I'd trade the ride for better handling. Auto manufacturers use softer shocks and suspension bushings in order to provide the most comfortable ride possible. The OE parts are usually made of rubber, which degrade over time. Poly bushing don't degrade, though they can be squeaky. I recently installed poly body mount bushings on my '01 ST and it made a huge (positive) difference in the ride and feel of the truck. Everything is a compromise. Bias it to the way you drive and a critical measurement (the thickness of your wallet).
Yeah I love polyurethane bushings and mounts I try to find polyurethane replacements for everything cuz I feel that it saves money in long run

That was a big issue with the Explorer and also the controversial 26psi tire pressure recommendation. They wanted the truck to appeal to soccer moms and people who would never consider a pickup based chassis. The truck rode marshmallow soft, but was very compromised in handling with lots of body roll. Reflex, monotube, and coil-over shocks came out as aftermarket improvements to help with those issues. Every sunvisor has a warning about driving these trucks with care. Sports are even more vulnerable because of their really short wheelbase.

Back