Is this normal | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is this normal

blkranger

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 explorer XlT 4.0 4x4
So my 02 explorer 4x4 has a hum or whine in the rear end. I thought I'd jack up the back end and put it in drive and get in the back end and see if I could pinpoint the noise. But when I put it in drive and eased off the brake all it would do would is make an jerking noise and the back wheels wouldn't spin. Kinda like it is stuck in 4x4. But it shouldn't be. Is this normal and part of the auto 4x4? I just got this explorer and am really thinking of getting rid of it. It's a sweet ride and clean but I have a bad feeling about the rear end noise.

Exs are known for bad rear ends, though I've not seen a count. Of course we only hear from those who had an issue. Most people deal with a 'slight' noise and seems to be normal. For some it progresses into something worse.

Search for rear end hum or howl, you'll find info in this forum.

The noise I hear starts at probably 5-10 mph and continues while driving. It doesn't ease up or get worse with acceleration or turns.Just a constant noise. It's hard to describe the noise. Could it be a rear wheel bearing?

all four tires have to be off the ground and 4x4 put in 4x4 HI. Or else jerking and banging will occur as 4x4 auto tries to correct the many different speeds of all 4 tires.

Back