Is this the right fan clutch? (pic) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is this the right fan clutch? (pic)

goliath said:
the one off of 90ranajo's truck is a heavy duty one from an automatic.

It's nice to know that mine is a heavy duty one, although the engine originally was mated to a 5-spd.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

msmith65 said:
Those sound like Ford OEM prices.
I wasn't suggesting to buy from that website. I just used it as a reference to post part numbers. Another idea is to install an electric fan, and get rid of the thermostatic clutch.

goliath said:
just a fyi from experiance...

the first picture is the stock clutch for a manual trans explorer sport. it only locks to 60 percent in a worst case scenario.(notice the lack of fins to catch heat on it.) the one off of 90 ranjos truck is a heavy duty one from an automatic. it locks to 95-100 percent in a worst case heat scenario(notice all the extra fins on it!). they are interchangeable, and from experiance, you will be chasing a overheating issue for a long time if you put the 60 percent one on your truck :D I had to go to the 100 percent one on mine to stop overheating pulling a boat to the lake with my manual trans sport explorer.

That is some very enlightening information, goliath. I was just about to buy the part when I read your post.

I have summertime heat issues with my Ex (Dallas, auto trans, AC ... you get the picture), thought not actual overheating yet. Getting a 60 percent clutch would be no better than what I have now, which is probably a 13-year-old OEM clutch.

Thank you!

BrooklynBay said:
Another idea is to install an electric fan, and get rid of the thermostatic clutch.

There are merits to that idea. As for me, I'm of the simple-fix school, with little time to spend improvising on cars after attending a 3½yo daughter, 8yo marriage, 50yo house, 5yo German Shepherd, and 82yo parents.

I appreciate the suggestion, nonetheless.

BrooklynBay said:
I originally made the suggestion about the electric fan in post #22. Somehow the quote came out different.

HTML error on my part -- sorry. Fixed.

Just a note to be careful with this thing, I had the fan clutch replaced on my 92 lxt and the Ford dealer at first used the cheaper option, the "made in china" clutch and the stupid thing broke and would not shut off a day later, back another 47 miles to the dealer, who replaced it again, and it broke again, back another 47 miles to the Ford dealer and this time they ordered the real "Ford" part...... It's worked fine ever since. I thought I was saving $$ getting the "made in china" version but the mechanic at the dealership told me there is a "thing" with the fan clutches and in that particular part's case (where as usually a generic part is ok) most people end up going w/ the Ford part. Just to let you know!

I just got a Motorcraft YB-463 from rockauto.com, and it looks just like the one in the top picture except the code adjacent to REVERSE reads CO3G1A.

The smaller fins make me wonder if this is -- as goliath described above -- a "60 percent" clutch.

I ended up buying my fan clutch from rockauto.com using one of the discount codes floating around on the 'net. It it came to about $75.

Having read others' testimony about AutoZone's incorrect tool, I tried O'Reilly's. The guy said they didn't have a tool for that job.

So I went to AZ anyway and got their kit. (At AZ, you "buy" the tool, then return it for a full refund.) Their computer, and the sticker on the side of the box, said "Explorer 4.0 91-Up." I wondered about that when, further down on the same sticker, it said "Explorer 4.0 '97-Up." Why would it list both? The first one covered them all.

Anyway, I took it home and found it wouldn't fit. The wrench for the nut was too big, and the wrench-type thing to hold the pulley bolts was too big, also. So I improvised.

My motive in replacing the clutch was to remedy hot-idling problems, including warm AC and, once during an extended summertime idle, a leaky front transmission seal.

Here's how the process went on my '93, replacing the (cracked) fan and (failing) clutch:

I drained the radiator first; it takes a while. I let the fresh coolant run into a bucket for re-use. (Note: If you do this, pull the bucket out after the radiator empties, and cover it. All kinds of dirt and crap will fall into it if you don't.)

Next, I moved the intake hose and pulled the radiator. The fan shroud came out next. (Lay them down in order so you don't forget the shroud; it won't go on after the radiator's in place.)

Do not loosen the four screws holding the fan pulley to the water pump. But you can take the belt off, just to get it out of the way.

To turn the clutch nut, I used a pair of slip-joint pliers and a length of pipe for leverage. One of the AutoZone tools was close enough to work on the pulley. I kept that tool in place with a breaker bar and another length of pipe.

Ahh. There's nothing like the feeling when a tight fastener gives way.

Out with the clutch and fan. I re-used the old bolts on the new clutch-to-fan pairing.

Still lacking the correct tool for tightening the clutch nut, I slathered its threads with Loctite, then used my pliers-and-pipes contraption to set it up as snugly as possible. In went the belt, shroud, radiator, old coolant (with a strainer), and intake hose. A quick run around town allowed me to fill the radiator completely, after it cooled.

I tested the car driving about 30 miles out into the country for a little walkabout with my German Shepherd. The truck ran seamlessly. On the return trip, I left the Ex idling in the Wal-Mart parking lot while I shopped for about 10 minutes. Afterward, I found the interior cold and the temp gauge just left of center, toward the C. On the highway, it actually crept to the middle -- surprising to me, as most cars idle hotter than they drive on the highway.

Today I returned AutoZone's tool. I brought the old fan clutch with me, as well as photos I'd taken showing the wrench not fitting it properly. I got the manager as soon as I walked in, and told him what I'd found. I also noted that I had gone into this project after seeing numerous rants at Serious Explorations denouncing AutoZone for providing a tool that doesn't fit. However, I wanted the problem fixed, so I told him directly. He thanked me for the pictures and the fan clutch core, and promised he'd forward the complaint to corporate. :thumbsup:

Can you give a little more detail msmith?? :) Just kidding. I'm printing your fix & saving because I'm thinking I'm going after mine soon.

Good to hear it worked out in the end
Walter

take your old one off and look at the threads, if they are both right handed put it on.

Back