Is this vibration normal? | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The suspension on the Platinum is not as ridged as the Sport from what I understand, not that I think it's ridged at all compared to lowered Altima.

Are you meaning rigid, or are you talking about the suspension having ridges in it? Your post doesn't make sense.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you meaning rigid, or are you talking about the suspension having ridges in it? Your post doesn't make sense.

Sorry, didn't mean to throw you way off base with a spelling mistake, rigid.

The suspension on the Platinum is not as ridged as the Sport from what I understand, not that I think it's ridged at all compared to lowered Altima.
I believe Sgt1411 said the suspension is that same as in the other non Sport models.

Peter

According to a Ford engineer I used to know, they had problems with the wheel/tire interface on one of the other models which would allow the tire to slip on the wheel resulting in the the combination going out of balance.

The experience I had with my '11 LTD AWD was a vibration very similar to yours. The tires would be balanced and the ride would improve for a day or so and then would revert to vibrating. The solution for me was a set of good tires (www.Tirerack.com) and RoadForce balancing at Discount Tire. Between that and new front suspension pieces (tie rods? I will try to find the work order and post here) my vibration issues are completely resolved.

Best of luck,
Randy

Thanks for the feedback

As I previously indicated, I went the new tire route with high-end Pirellis that were recommended by TireRack. I didn't do a road-force balance, but the technician and I talked about the importance of getting the balance right when he took the car for the tire swap.

I don't deny that I'm very sensitive to a good ride, but I did take a service manager with me on a test drive who agreed that he could feel the vibration. Since I had also noticed this on another Platinum that I tried after I couldn't seem to get mine right, I thought posting here was a good idea to see if others noticed the same issue. Given the replies, apparently not, but at least there will be a record in the forum if others have similar issues in the future.

The service manager I've been working with is still exploring options, but I'm planning to have the car driven with a vibration monitor so that we'll have a documented basis for further discussions with Ford. Very disappointing that I loved my 2013 Limited, thought I was trading up when I ordered a 2016 Platinum and ended up disappointed with the ride.

I have a vibration in my platinum also. Mine seems to be from a stop and is worse turning or going up hill. It was there day one and at 3k hasn't let up any. I would really like to figure it out because it drives me nuts.

I have a vibration in my platinum also. Mine seems to be from a stop and is worse turning or going up hill. It was there day one and at 3k hasn't let up any. I would really like to figure it out because it drives me nuts.

Thanks for responding. Assuming that I make some progress in my continued effort to diagnose this, I'll post the results.

Ours is silky smooth. Almost too quiet for an SUV.

As I previously indicated, I went the new tire route with high-end Pirellis that were recommended by TireRack. I didn't do a road-force balance, but the technician and I talked about the importance of getting the balance right when he took the car for the tire swap.

I don't deny that I'm very sensitive to a good ride, but I did take a service manager with me on a test drive who agreed that he could feel the vibration. Since I had also noticed this on another Platinum that I tried after I couldn't seem to get mine right, I thought posting here was a good idea to see if others noticed the same issue. Given the replies, apparently not, but at least there will be a record in the forum if others have similar issues in the future.

The service manager I've been working with is still exploring options, but I'm planning to have the car driven with a vibration monitor so that we'll have a documented basis for further discussions with Ford. Very disappointing that I loved my 2013 Limited, thought I was trading up when I ordered a 2016 Platinum and ended up disappointed with the ride.

Something to try, since you have the vibration monitor: get the tires Road Force balanced and be the first to test drive it after the installation- explain to the shop what is happening and that you want to record the ride before it has any braking, etc. loads. Compare that data to what you get after a week or so. Assuming it goes from good to bad, take it back to the tire shop and ask them to check the balance. If it is off then you know at least one source of the problem.

And let us know. :)

Good luck.

Hi. I read this thread when it was first posted and thought it was nonense... HOWEVER, I think I am no experiencing similar symptoms on my 2016 Explorer Platinum. It has just over 1,000 miles on it. It was silky smooth until Monday of this week when I started to notice the vibration.

What it feels like to me is vibration in the steering column, and can also be felt on the front console. But nothing else appears to vibrate. I also feel it in my ears. Its like a harmonic thumping, similar to the sensation when a window is cracked and you get the ear popping. Is that the same you are experiencing? I too only notice it above 20 mph. I assume it isn't the roads because I've been on several different highways this week, some smooth, some not so smooth, but it definitely isn't the road bumps.

Is that the same symptom you can feel? Was there any resolution? I have a lease, so I guess I'll bring it in to see what they can do.

The vibration is in the steering wheel and in the floor, so I don't think it's related to steering. It is not related to engine RPMs, but the frequency is related to vehicle speed (and no, I'm not driving with the massaging seats on). The issue is particularly noticeable when driving on a smooth road surface (obviously). And since I drove my 2013 on the same road without issue, I know it's not the road itself that's causing the issue.

Thanks to those who replied stating that you're not having an issue. If anyone else has noticed the same issue, I'd like to hear about it. There are other posts on the forum that allude to this problem, but those discussions tended to blame tires. Since I've done all of the tire diagnostics, including replacing them even though the car is brand new, I thought it would be best to get a separate discussion going to see if others have ended up where I am, which is frustrated.

As I said, I'll try driving a Sport and a 2WD limited soon and will see how they compare.

JCrew's description of the symptoms is exactly consistent with what I've been experiencing. Still no resolution yet, as I haven't had time to do any further follow up since my last post.

I've had my 2016 XLT for one week and this describes the sound/vibration I have too. I test drove one and then purchased a different one-huge regret. I didn't hear the vibration / putter noise on the one I drove. Of course dealership says its normal. Both are 2.3L Eco boost. It's driving me crazy.

update

Wanted to offer an update to those who are following my original post. I've not had time to make getting this issue fixed a priority on my schedule, but I did finally get the car into the shop today to be fitted with a vibration measurement device that supposedly assists technicians with matching the vibration frequency to a possible rotational source. With new tires and a road-force balance, tires/wheels have been ruled out, as has the engine because the vibration continues even when the car is shifted into neutral at road speed.

My dealer contacted Ford at the corporate level and searched the dealer service database to see if there are known issues/solutions to this complaint, and they didn't come across anything of value.

Hopefully, the vibration analysis will come up with something. If not, it appears that I'll just have to live with the issue until I replace the car.

I've had my 2016 XLT for one week and this describes the sound/vibration I have too. I test drove one and then purchased a different one-huge regret. I didn't hear the vibration / putter noise on the one I drove. Of course dealership says its normal. Both are 2.3L Eco boost. It's driving me crazy.
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
Hopefully you can get this issue resolved soon.

Peter

Wanted to offer an update to those who are following my original post. I've not had time to make getting this issue fixed a priority on my schedule, but I did finally get the car into the shop today to be fitted with a vibration measurement device that supposedly assists technicians with matching the vibration frequency to a possible rotational source. With new tires and a road-force balance, tires/wheels have been ruled out, as has the engine because the vibration continues even when the car is shifted into neutral at road speed.

My dealer contacted Ford at the corporate level and searched the dealer service database to see if there are known issues/solutions to this complaint, and they didn't come across anything of value.

Hopefully, the vibration analysis will come up with something. If not, it appears that I'll just have to live with the issue until I replace the car.

Thanks for the update... Please do advise when you have more information... I have stopped noticing the vibration issue as much. Although the other day I mentioned it to my wife who said she now feels it relatively often while driving. She used to attribute it to the road but now understands what I am saying. I have not yet brought it into the dealer to look at. I haven't even had a first oil change yet. But it is definitely something I will raise when I go in in about a month. hopefully you've had a chance to get some additional information by then. Perhaps we can put our dealers in touch with each other?

Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
Hopefully you can get this issue resolved soon.

Peter

Thank you. I am scheduled to go back to the dealership to drive it with the service manager next week. It also had a very rough idle today, the vibration could be felt when i put my hand on the gear shift and on the handle/arm rest on the door.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back