Is your paint smooth? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is your paint smooth?

I have a 2002 black Explorer and the paint is not smooth. After a car wash, when I run my hand across the hood, roof, or sides, it feels like very fine sandpaper. I also noticed these very very minute (you have to look very close) white bubbles on the roof and hood of the car. I noticed this the day I brought the car home. I went back to the dealer and requested a new paint job, but they said I just needed a "chemical" wash to remove all the dirt, debris, and grime from transporting the car across country. Even after the "chemical" wash, the car's paint is not smooth. I'm just wondering is this normal or is your guys' paint smooth after a nice wash? Oh, I also have the Dupont Teflon coat (dealer option) applied to my car. I don't think this would affect the paint, would it? I'm going to bring it in again sometime this week or this weekend to see what they say. But in the meantime, let me know how your paint is.

TIA,
LDawg

you need to wash the car before using a clay bar, i would go ahead and wash with dish soap then anyhow. Then I put car soap in a spray bottle instead of using that quick detailer stuff, you dont have to worry about it drying on the car.

My car was rough as hell the time I finally ran my hand over it, it felt sandpaperish to me too (really I think bad orange peel is a better description). After the clay bar it was slick as glass. Just make sure to knead the clay bar like you would a gum eraser to keep it clean.

Ive used mothers and clay magic bars, I really felt like the mothers bar was better too.

Back