• Register Today It's free!

Issues with Tranny and Leak

ArcKamikaze

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT V6 SOHC Explorer
Hi, got quite a story, firstly my vehicle's a 1999 Explorer 4.0 SOHC 4x4. My issue with it is that I'm leaking Tranny Fluid from what appears to be a loose ring from the side of the Tranny (Passenger's Side). The leak itself has also created another issue in that it has been going onto the Exhaust Pipes, and has corroded my Exhaust/Muffler, which has made the truck feel sluggish, lose power in engine, and so forth. Issue's prior to this was that the Tranny would sometimes slip and have the O/D light blink, at which point I've tried to find the reasoning behind it. Tried taking it to various places to be checked out, specially if they could find a code that would tell me specifically, but non have found the source. Everytime the O/D would blink when driving, I would have to restart the truck to shift the truck from limp back to normal (thought it could further damage it if driven in that state). One place did manage to pull a code when the light was on however, and if I recall it said that the 1st Gear Ratio was off.

It does however give a small kick (feels like it's from the Diff), randomly (either accelerating from a full stop and shifting from 1-2), then the truck's O/D light would go off. Other than that, the truck still seems to shift fine, even when it's in the Limp Mode.

My question is: Would it be the ring/leak causing the Tranny to act up and slip, causing light to go off, or is in an internal thing where I'd actually have to mess with the Tranny itself (In which case I'd rather go with a newer used Tranny). Love the truck to death, but it's come to the point of deciding whether or not I should keep it, it's been expensive to maintain, and would really hate to get rid of it, but I'm not sure how big a problem this may be money wise. At the moment it's coming up to 150,000 miles and still feels strong (except with the shot exhaust/muffler), but with this problem I'm not sure if it's worth fixing.

I've posted a couple of pics to help, and I'm also not sure what the parts are specifically called, but if anyone knows, please post. If it's a cheap fix that'd be great. Truly would appreciate anyone willing to help.

ExplorerLeak.jpg

ExplorerLeak2.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

that is a servo cover snap ring, you need to replace the snap ring and the o-ring on the cover. you wont know if there is any internal damge until you replace those parts. I dont know how hard the snap ring is gonna be to find, but your local ford dealer probably has the o-ring in stock

Thanks, I managed to get the snap ring from the dealer, but they didn't have the o-ring. They told me to check places like Autozone, etc to find universal ones, but I'm not sure if there is one, or if its specific to the part itself. From what they also told me they are going to have to contact Ford to see if they can acquire the part, since it's an older vehicle and they don't carry them anymore.

I was also wondering however if the job itself to replace the snap ring and the o-ring is hard, and if it would take a long time. Was told I would have to take out the tranny to get to it, and that it's a daunting task.

You have two issues working against you:

1. Snap rings usually dont just come out like that, something caused it to un-seat from the groove.

2. There is a huge spring behind that cover, if you remove the snap ring it will come flying apart, you need to use a pry bar and a piece of wood to put force on it so you can get the rest of the clip out of the groove, then SLOWLY release the tension on it.

On a side note your "sluggish" feeling and all the other symptoms your having scream failing transmission. As in it has one foot and 4 toes in the grave as you described it.

Incorrect 1st gear ratio = Slipping badly

"Small Kick" = Slipping then suddenly re-engaging

*I am a master tech and put transmissions in these things all day for the exact symptoms your describing*.............

Well it feel sluggish with no power behind it because of the shot muffler/exhaust from the leak corroding it (need a new one on top of all this). The leak's coming from servo snap ring/o ring (circled area in pictures). Truck's not breathing properly making it feel sluggish. The tranny did however throw the incorrect 1st gear ratio code, and does slip randomly at 1-2 or 2-1 shifts, but other than that it shifts smoothly. The "small kick" occurs as it slips, then the o/d light goes off and the truck goes into the limp mode (when I restart truck, it resets and goes back to normal, shifting fine). Still I'm not sure if it's because of that ring and the leaks from it. I've been contemplating on whether or not to get a newer used tranny, but if this is a simple fix and it solves the problems, then that would be a big help and save me over $1000.

Thanks though on the tips on replacing the ring, not really sure on how to go about it, would like to work on it this weekend and hopefully it fixes that. Not sure if it's simple to replace or if I have to remove tranny to get to it?

you dont have to remove the trans, but having a friend to work the pry bar helps a ton, i had this problem on my 1st gen, and replacing the o-ring fixed it just fine, but i never had a lack of power. the lack of power probably has more to do with the PCM seeing low fluid pressure due to the leak than the fluid getting on the exhaust. For the price i suggest fixing the leak and going from there. odds are that there is some premature wear but fixing the leak could buy you a lot of time before a replacement or rebuild is needed, but there is no garuntee that it will fix anything. before you re-assemble try to get a mirror in there and inspect the groove for the snap ring, the case may have corroded causing the ring to work out, and in that case you will need to figure out a fix for that as well.

Yeah, my muffler/exhaust is shot (was told I need to replace everything from the catalytic converter back). I believe that's why it feels sluggish, mainly because it's not "breathing" properly. Hoping to replace the muffler/exhaust, along with the snap ring and o-ring this weekend.

Edit: Also the weather and conditions, along with the salt from the roads, up here also contributed to the damages, rusting, and corrosion. Vehicles up here rust out quick in just one winter. Have had this problem since Oct. 2011 I believe. Been lucky so far, but hoping to fix this weekend.

Back