• Register Today It's free!

It is with a heavy heart

The D

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
‘13 Explorer XLT
That I inform everyone that I’m leaving the Ford family for a bit. I’ve had some problems with my ‘13 xlt that go beyond what I can get done in a timely fashion in my driveway and the local dealerships are scheduling at least a week ahead just to get an appointment. And then it would likely be another few weeks to get the car repaired. I can’t be without a primary vehicle that long so I had to get another vehicle. Listen to this absolute s*** show…

Purchased an 06 Envoy Denali from our neighbor. They bought it new and kept it pretty well maintained. Just had quite a bit of service work in the fall & new tires in the last few months. Tow rating of 6k so it’s capable of handling our small camper. We get into the mountains of CO(Fri afternoon of Memorial Day weekend mind you), just on the other side of Idaho Springs and the transfer case and one of the differentials eat each other. Call a tow truck that can get the truck and camper all at once then wait. And wait. A friend of ours isn’t doing anything so she leaves her husband to watch their kids to come pick up my wife and kids, they’re amazing friends. But, of course, I had to wait for the tow truck… Nothing super exciting but it was a bit sketchy towing a camper behind a flat bed truck with a car on it. I didn’t get in bed until midnight. F****** lame

The next few days we look and debate and look some more and debate some more about how to proceed. We ultimately settle on a used ‘13 F150 fx4 5.0. Tires kicked, papers signed but it hadn’t been through their shop yet. Not a big deal because I understand it’s very used and will have some warts. I go back a few days later and there’s a new warning in the dash and none of the door locks work from either key or either door panel buttons. Frustrating but salesman says parts are ordered. Because the doors don’t work several lights are staying on so I put it on the battery charger over night. The next day after work, after just sitting all day, it barely starts. And in my perusing the internets to find door lock info I find that the 3rd brake light has leaked into the cab corners and one is rotting from the inside out. Sorry, this is a deal breaker. Thankfully the dealership has a 5 day/250 mile no questions return policy. Whew…

Some more debating and we wind up at a pretty fancy used car place purchasing a ‘18 Nissan Patro…ahem, sorry… Armada. It’s pretty amazing so far. I’ll be back in a Ford sometime, I just don’t know when. I’ll check in from time to time. Probably to edit my water pump diy thread…

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sad to see you leave, but i get your circusstance. makes sense. and rememebr its never goodbye its just see you later ;)

yeah I keep thinking about next vehicle being a Toyota or Honda, but for now, it's the devil you know... I invested time into learning all some of this Ford nonsense for a while now, so might as well leverage that for cheaper DIY repairs as long as I can (as long as rust doesn't screw me).

The more I consider it, the more I don't really want a nearly new vehicle, would rather find some cherry low mileage around 2010 in a low rust area. I think patience is a virtue, being able to wait till I find the right one. It sucks to be forced to pick something on the spot just to get around, especially if having to pay a dealer markup in this still not so long after covid markups, market... but you do what you gotta do.

Can’t stand used car dealers that do that. They’ll put the car on the lot, you buy it, then they get it ready/fix it.

My sister did that with a jeep wrangler. The lot couldn’t get it fixed up and running right six weeks after she paid the deposit and signed the paperwork. Kept saying ‘it’s almost done, almost done. I went down, saw half the engine disassembled—almost done my ass. Sales guys weren’t there that day. Then they wouldn’t return calls once we called them out and demanded a refund of the deposit. We had to go down there and threaten to beat the $1500 out of the guy to get her the money back.

Private sale or certified pre owned for me. No-name used car lots suck.

Can’t stand used car dealers that do that. They’ll put the car on the lot, you buy it, then they get it ready/fix it.

My sister did that with a jeep wrangler. The lot couldn’t get it fixed up and running right six weeks after she paid the deposit and signed the paperwork. Kept saying ‘it’s almost done, almost done. I went down, saw half the engine disassembled—almost done my ass. Sales guys weren’t there that day. Then they wouldn’t return calls once we called them out and demanded a refund of the deposit. We had to go down there and threaten to beat the $1500 out of the guy to get her the money back.

Private sale or certified pre owned for me. No-name used car lots suck.

The F150 we bought was actually at a large Chevy dealership and the Armada we finally settled on was at a small used car place. I get what you’re saying though. Any auto sales place is going to cut corners to try to stay relevant. I’m also usually more sympathetic to any private business vs all of the red tape and regulatory nonsense they’re saddled with from gov. I’m not one to haggle and too much to get every little thing on/off an invoice. My wife on the other hand will haggle license plate screws if she has to…

Back