It's Been Real, It's Been Fun, But I Gotta Roll | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

It's Been Real, It's Been Fun, But I Gotta Roll

BigNutz

Reaction score
City, State
Southern MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford Explorer EB
I'm sorry to say folks that after owning the Explorer for a mere 5 months, I had to get rid of it. Traded it in for a 12,000 mile 2012 Dodge Durango.

I couldn't deal with the issues one after another stacking up and never letting up. I spent $600 last month alone in repairs, and there was more this month. I sure wasn't looking forward to that potentially $1000+ spark plug change. Luckily for me, most things were under warranty (except the exhaust manifold bolts breaking).

Anyway, I just wanted to wish everyone great luck. I also wanted to thank everyone who helped me out whenever I had a question. This site DID save me a lot of money!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry to hear that your explorer had so many issues and you had to put it down. ;) However, I think you made a good choice with the Durango.

Noooooooooooooooooo!
home-alone.jpg

It will be said of Big Nutz, "He attacked Explorer issues with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which.

Good luck my friend! :chug:

Those Durangos sure look good. It's the top pick for me when the time comes. I heard the ride is incredible, not "trukish" like the Explorer. Which one did you get ?

They are very nice trucks... Also the leader on our list currently. Good luck, BN

I like the dodges too. Hope It is better then the old fix or repair daily was.

I been think about getting rid of my mountaineer too. Only owned for a year and the first six months it was in a shop more then home. It only has 58000 miles on it now. It would not be half as bad if Ford would man up to the problems they created. Just an example the manifold bolt things. Been having that problem since 97 that I know of. Thought buying an 07 it would have been addressed. We all know there are more. Anyways good luck.

I hope you have good luck with it. Dodges aren't exactly known for good reliability.

Those Durangos sure look good. It's the top pick for me when the time comes. I heard the ride is incredible, not "trukish" like the Explorer. Which one did you get ?

We got a deep maroon Crew with most of the goodies. The only things this doesn't have that the Citadel does is adaptive cruise and ventilated seats, so I'm not too worried. The ride is unbelievable, the steering feels really nice, very tight. And the 5.7L Hemi is a beast. I REALLY missed that engine from my Charger days.

As far as the reliability, that was a concern of mine as well. Though my 08 Charger never gave me any issues. Also, the truck is based primarily on the Jeep Grand Cherokee, which has a pretty good record.

Good luck to you, sucks that you had such a problematic Explorer. That's the way it goes with used cars sometimes I guess. Oh well, a Durango isn't a bad SUV, and while I am not a fan of their looks, they are almost good enough to get me over my hate for Dodges.

Though, like my irrational fear/hatred of Canada, it will probably never go away. No matter how much I like the way Fiat is running them.

I had 2 Durangos. They were both garbage. I came back to another Explorer after a year or so. It is what it is with used vehicles like someone said earlier.

A few of have said that's what you get on a used vehicle.

Um I disagree. MY mountaineer still has the f--up 2 piece plug, the common breaking manifold bolts, they all seem to need a wheel bearing around 60000 to 80000 miles, rear pinion seals like to fail, and the common tranny problems. Never-mind all the tsb.These are not because it used. These are poor design. Or smart design fail so you spend money. But either way when you spend 30000 on a vehicle you don't expect to stick 600 in it weekly. Just my 2 cents. Guess it all what a person willing to put with.

I think people are confusing Chrysler products form mid 2000's with current ones. I had a brand new 2006 heavy duty Ram pickup Megacab, and the quality was just poor or worse. Luckily, it was under warranty obviously. Traded it for a 2006 Explorer after a year, and in my case I am a lucky one so far. Yes, sparkplugs, manifold, bearings - I have gone thru those. But the new Dodges are so much different now.

BigNutz -
Please write few sentences how the 2 cars compare; ride, seat comfort, space, etc....

I am very interested in real life opininon as opposed to a magazine review.

Thanks

Every brand has lemons now and then. Too bad this guy found one. We've had our Mountaineer for 2½ years, and we love it. About 93,000 miles on it now, and it's pulled our 27-ft camper for 2 seasons.
That said, since Ford killed the tow rating on the 5th gen Explorer, if we had to replace our tow vehicle right now (and couldn't find a 2010 Mountaineer), we would get a Durango. 5000lb base V6 tow rating, 6500 with the tow package, and 7500 with V8 and tow package. On a modern stiff unibody, that's a nice combination. But I doubt the prices have come down yet, even in the used market.

Good choice.. i have a 2011 durango.

i dumped my POS ex almost 4 years ago. My 06 was by far the WORSE vehicle i ever owned! I did more warranty work on that POS than all my other vehicles combined (which is about 8 or 9).

The ride for me its close to the same. The biggest thing i miss is my ex had the switchable 4x4. my durango is awd (rwd then the fronts kick in). Other than that for me its about the same

I think people are confusing Chrysler products form mid 2000's with current ones. I had a brand new 2006 heavy duty Ram pickup Megacab, and the quality was just poor or worse. Luckily, it was under warranty obviously. Traded it for a 2006 Explorer after a year, and in my case I am a lucky one so far. Yes, sparkplugs, manifold, bearings - I have gone thru those. But the new Dodges are so much different now.

BigNutz -
Please write few sentences how the 2 cars compare; ride, seat comfort, space, etc....

I am very interested in real life opininon as opposed to a magazine review.

Thanks

Sure. So it's a little bit apples to oranges as the EX had 96000 and the Durango has 12500 miles. To give a little perspective also, I owned a 2008 Dodge Charger. I feel this car was the first steps towards where Dodge was and where they are now. The interior of that was OK, but nothing too exciting.

One of the biggest difference I can see is overall fit and finish both interior and exterior. That could be completely different with a 2012 Explorer though. It's the detail work, like when you push on the dash material, it's leathery, not hard plastic. I was disappointed to see Dodge went with the stupid "Let's put EVERY control possible on the directional stem" idea.

The other big difference is ride comfort. This again is apples and oranges because the Explorer is on a truck chasis and the new Durango is on what traditionally is a cross-over chasis. The drive is really outstanding, tight on the streering with feedback and the ride is quiet and smooth, but not boat like. I think I cargo is pretty comparable, there might be a few corners reduced on the Durango. The quiet ride kind of struck me when I first drove it though.

And the last thing power. 360 HP vs. 290 (Or what was once 290) is obvious. The Durango is a beast, while not as fast as the Charger due to P/W ratio, still moves out at an insane rate.

So, again, I didn't hate the EX, just needed something more reliable. I hav always been a Dodge guy, but not so much that I wouldn't go to other cars. No Calvin pissing on Chevy on the back of my truck! Hope this helps.

Thanks,

I sat in a new Durango not too long ago, and it was quite a difference from my 2006 Ram where I could chop the meat on the dashboard - it was so hard. The Explorer while a lo6t nicer than Ram, it's still hard plastic squarish feel, that I still like to some extend (loved it when it came out in 2004 in F150). But does not come close to the feel of my wife's Tribeca where like Durango the fit, finish and feel is on different level. But in my case Tribeca can't do half the things I do with the Explorer. And kids still want to take my Ford on long trips, I gues because of the space.

Thanks, congrats, and good luck with it.

Dodge definitely made the biggest leap in their interior quality out of any car maker in their segment (from one of the worst to one of the best). And they're bringing a diesel with 420 ft-lb of torque to the 2014 Grand Cherokee. And it gets 30 MPG highway, 21 city. Pretty cool stuff.

Ford needs to make a new Ranger with a diesel. That would be sick.

I would have to say that all the positive changes are a result of Fiat owning the majority stake in Chrysler now.

I would have to say that all the positive changes are a result of Fiat owning the majority stake in Chrysler now.

I would not argue with you on that, however I think they turned the first part of the corner during the Diamler days. I know a lot of the Charger guts were actually Mercedes parts as well as the LX chasis design.

I'll stay in touch here, I've got a 2 year membership. I learned alot about the EX, and I want to share what I know.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would not argue with you on that, however I think they turned the first part of the corner during the Diamler days. I know a lot of the Charger guts were actually Mercedes parts as well as the LX chasis design.

This is true. Both the GC and Durango are based on Mercedes platforms.

Back