rub problem (i know it's been covered) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

rub problem (i know it's been covered)

hatched91

Reaction score
City, State
godfrey, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 sport ohv 5spd
Okay, so here's my problem. I have a 93 xlt with a 3" body lift and 33x12.50x15's. I got 15x10" rims and they have offset. My wheels now rub when I turn. I cut the outer fender back until it was past the inner fender at the rear/bottom of the wheelwell where the fender bolts to the body. If I cut anymore back, i'll be cuttting where the fender attatches to the body. I took the inner fender linings out too. I don't want to buy an expensive lift because I am saving up for one, and it will be a few months before I can afford it. Where can I buy fiberglass fenders? Where can I buy spring spacers and extended shackles? What would be the best/cheapest solution? AND is it safe to cut any farther back?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wouldn't get fiberglass fenders. I wouldn't get spacers or shackles. IMO, you should buy the 180 dollar 2" Skyjacker lift. It's got new springs up front and AAL in the rear. The glass fenders would run you about 360 or so and can be bought from Perry's Fab-n-fiber, and a few other companies.

Yeah BMXking has probably the most reasonable solution for you.

although my question to you is, does one side (specifically the driverside) rub more then the other?

3" body lift on stock springs = 1" lift (over stock), due to 100k+ miles of spring sag.

If you only need .25" to 5" more clearence, i'd say get new stock springs ($60 www.rockauto.com/) which should level you out nicely.

well, i did not take out the inner fender liner on the drivers side, and it does rub. I think I might look into new stock coil springs. After xmas, and bday (30th), i'll see how much I come up with and how long it will be before i can purchase the 5.5" superlift. Thanks.

got any pics of the truck ?

i'll take a few and post them tomorrow morning in the light

Back