It's Bonus time | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

It's Bonus time

What's your budget for a sound system upgrade?

Okay it's that time of the year again and I'll have some extra cash to spend here in the next couple weeks. I am looking for suggestions, (pictures would be appreciated) on a nice clean instillation. I currently have a 04 XLT with the combo CD/ Cassette deck without the factory amp. I would like to add a little punch to the truck. I don't want it so loud that you can jam to my music four cars back, and it has to be clean. I would like to keep the truck as close to factory appearance as possible. I'll have around a 2k to play with and already have a 1000w mono amp. So bring the suggestions.

Any specific amount?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did the whole door...I still need to close up those huge holes with some plexi or sheet metal. I also put a few 6 inch wide strips on the outer skin. The difference from closing the front doors compared to the rear doors is huge...the sound and feel of the door is solid.

I haven't dampened right around the speaker because i still need to use a bunch of JB Weld and secure the factory baffles to the sheet metal...those factory baffles are held in place by plastic clips...horrible for performance. I can hear the plastic squeaking and vibrating against the metal on certain frequencies.

100_5715.jpg

Any specific amount?

I have about 2 grand to spend, but I'm pretty **** about keeping the truck looking as stock as possible. I would even consider adding in a factory sub and Amp. I really just want to add a little more bass and clean everything up.

I did the whole door...I still need to close up those huge holes with some plexi or sheet metal. I also put a few 6 inch wide strips on the outer skin. The difference from closing the front doors compared to the rear doors is huge...the sound and feel of the door is solid.

I haven't dampened right around the speaker because i still need to use a bunch of JB Weld and secure the factory baffles to the sheet metal...those factory baffles are held in place by plastic clips...horrible for performance. I can hear the plastic squeaking and vibrating against the metal on certain frequencies.

100_5715.jpg

i had the same squeek problem with the factory baffles when i was running my mbquart6x8 components. i took theplastic out and made it out of mdf. and that noise is gone. also looking at you pic i would recommed deading the complete inside of the outer doorskin. then some closed cell foam behind the driver itself. then like you said seal the large openings off with sheet metal wrapped in matting. that will bump the bass response of that door up dramatically

its 31 degrees outside....once spring comes its going to be fully deadened....getting deadener behind the door is pain in the ass lol

i have mine to look forward to also i just ordered some raamat today.

I have about 2 grand to spend, but I'm pretty **** about keeping the truck looking as stock as possible. I would even consider adding in a factory sub and Amp. I really just want to add a little more bass and clean everything up.

Is your system straight stock now? If so, I found that the first thing you should consider is replacing those speakers in the doors. Lots of folks are happy just with the bass they get from good door speakers. Next, look at a good head unit. Folks here seem to prefer Pioneer, Kenwood and Alpine. Once those two things are straight, you should be able to easily add your mono amp and bass speaker.

Hey, just my opinion guys!

Back