Its time to say goodbye to the explorer =( | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Its time to say goodbye to the explorer =(

alexk

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Limited
Ive decided I am done with my explorer, I'm just fed up with it. So many easy things are breaking on it and I just have no Idea how to fix them so its costing me way to much in repairs. I'm not done with explorers though. I have my eye on a low mileage 2003 thats looking nice right now. Its still a sad day because I loved this truck so much and I really dont want to get rid of it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My dad is in the same situation...

His rear bearings were bad, and when he put it in to be done, the upper control arms were bad (holes corroded in the aluminum around where the ball joint is pressed in)

Ford didnt have any rear upper arms, they said they were on back order for months. I managed to find a pair at O'Reillys (thanks to another board member)

Mechanic also noticed a rear spring broken.

It was done today, and the mechanic is a friend of the family...9 hrs labor +
bearings + rear spring = $1100 + the $500 for upper control arms we bought separately.

Last August he had a $800 bill for front rotors, ceramic pads and calipers and rear rotors and ceramic pads.

A few months before that... $500 for rear diff seals

Around the same time as the diff seals was a $2500 transmission rebuild.

Today they noticed the front pads and rotors are gone again. Apparently there is a pin in the caliper that seizes and causes the caliper to twist? Sounds fishy to me...

And to top it off... The front drive shaft is loose in the transfer case so thats got to be done soon...

The silver lining is that he'll soon have a totally new drive train and suspension in an 02!! It doesn't make sense to sell it now...

My dad is in the same situation...

His rear bearings were bad, and when he put it in to be done, the upper control arms were bad (holes corroded in the aluminum around where the ball joint is pressed in)

Ford didnt have any rear upper arms, they said they were on back order for months. I managed to find a pair at O'Reillys (thanks to another board member)

Mechanic also noticed a rear spring broken.

It was done today, and the mechanic is a friend of the family...9 hrs labor +
bearings + rear spring = $1100 + the $500 for upper control arms we bought separately.

Last August he had a $800 bill for front rotors, ceramic pads and calipers and rear rotors and ceramic pads.

A few months before that... $500 for rear diff seals

Around the same time as the diff seals was a $2500 transmission rebuild.

Today they noticed the front pads and rotors are gone again. Apparently there is a pin in the caliper that seizes and causes the caliper to twist? Sounds fishy to me...

And to top it off... The front drive shaft is loose in the transfer case so thats got to be done soon...

The silver lining is that he'll soon have a totally new drive train and suspension in an 02!! It doesn't make sense to sell it now...

Forgot to mention the $350 for the 4x4 control module too :rolleyes:

^ I have only spent about $950 getting mine fixed but its these damn ignition coils that are killing me. Ive had three done already two were not charged labor when I got my tune up so I saved there. Then I got another one done today for $140 and my mechanic said another one is about to go but he just cane tell which one. its going to cost me $840 just for all of them to be replaced. Im sure uts something easy to do I just have no idea how to do it.

you can get coils on jegs for alot less then 800 bucks hell you can get performance ones for 500 or jegs ones for 30 i think.

go get a haynes manual and start wrenching. its not a hard vehicle to work on you just can't be afraid to dig in and start doing the little stuff. the v8 explorer is a joke honestly to replace the ign. coils. its one bolt, then unplug the connector(might be the hardest part), pull it up off the spark plug and then install the new one in the reverse order.

once you start wrenching on vehicles its amazing how simple they really are. i honestly think its easier to fix my own vehicles then selling it then finding a new vehicle and dealing with the paper work at a dealership. there are alot of people on this site that are more then happy to guide you through any problems. i'm more then willing to help you out with that stuff so just post it.

Hey man I feel ya...

When I took my 03 X 4x4 into the shop for overheating problems, I was ready throw in the towel on it when the bill was going past $1000 (ended up being $1400 to replace virtually everything in the cooling system)....just after I had spent $800 on new stock tires, $200 on brakes, etc....literally 6 months after buying it (user car dealer).

I always hear to stay away from first year models of any new generation design (ie "2002" for 3rd gen ex's)....just because it can take at least the next model year to get a lot of the bugs worked out. There really are crappy years for every vehicle....so far my 2003 has been...ok....but really for it's mileage (over 125k now) I am pretty happy with the powertrain durability, especially being a 4x4.

I had to replace the rear wheel bearings and get my transmission rebuilt but other than that it has been pretty solid....

328K miles and I've only had to put $1200.00 in repairs into it. It's been an excellent vehicle and don't plan on getting rid of it anytime soon. I guess it's the luck of the draw when you buy something no matter what it is.

328K miles and I've only had to put $1200.00 in repairs into it. It's been an excellent vehicle and don't plan on getting rid of it anytime soon. I guess it's the luck of the draw when you buy something no matter what it is.

you also are on a 2nd gen platform...

But they're all mechanical and nuts and bolts, doesn't matter what platform you have. Do the mechanics that work on Gen II's not work on Gen III's?

Ignition coils are easy- once you just dive in. For example, on a Gen III Taurus SHO, the ignition coils quote out at the dealer to replace at about $1,900. If you buy a set on eBay for a few hundred bucks, and have them installed in a couple of hours. The fronts require no more than 6 bolts to get to. It's stupid simple to do. They're very similar on your Ex.

Sure there are things that you will fix that should be done by a shop if you're not comfy with the procedure- like a tranny rebuild, but the simple things like ignition coils, are what will save you LOTS of money.

If you dump your truck, what happens if the new one has issues to handle? Then you're out even more money... Start digging in! :)

you can get coils on jegs for alot less then 800 bucks hell you can get performance ones for 500 or jegs ones for 30 i think.

go get a haynes manual and start wrenching. its not a hard vehicle to work on you just can't be afraid to dig in and start doing the little stuff. the v8 explorer is a joke honestly to replace the ign. coils. its one bolt, then unplug the connector(might be the hardest part), pull it up off the spark plug and then install the new one in the reverse order.

once you start wrenching on vehicles its amazing how simple they really are. i honestly think its easier to fix my own vehicles then selling it then finding a new vehicle and dealing with the paper work at a dealership. there are alot of people on this site that are more then happy to guide you through any problems. i'm more then willing to help you out with that stuff so just post it.

I was going to do that but then I started to hear a noise from the back tires and I know its not the springs since I just had them replaced so I am leaning toward the rear bearing. Im not even going to bother checking it, I'd rather start fresh and I will try and do my own repairs on the next one. Besides the one I am looking at has a lifetime warranty, thats a huge plus over the no warranty I have now.

But they're all mechanical and nuts and bolts, doesn't matter what platform you have. Do the mechanics that work on Gen II's not work on Gen III's?

What's that suppose to mean?
2nd gen is not much of a departure from 1st gen or even an F100 for that matter. Ford's 3rd gen is way out there - a big difference from your standard spindles and live axle. This is why it rides and drives so well, a big departure from the norm.

what r u gonna get now alex since ur saying goodbye to the explorer what kind of ride u going to get

it was a comment about longevity and reliability.

My point was simply that no matter what generation of Ex you're driving or what IRS or live axle you're driving, they're all held together with nuts, bolts, and welds. I know I was guilty of it when I owned my 2003, and thought that it was impossible to work on, until one of my mechanic buddies suggested I fix a few things, since I was very mechanically inclined and said that "it may look complicated, but it's all nuts, bolts, and steel." Which is true.

I also think that the Gen III's are reliable. But, we haven't had them around for 15+ years like the Gen I's and Gen II's either, so who knows? but I know there are a lot of them on the road, with a lot of miles... But, I understand alexk's frustrations. I only wanted to convey the thought that he could get something else, have the same issues, and only be out a bunch of money. But, as always, it's his gut and his decision... He'll make one good for his situation.

what r u gonna get now alex since ur saying goodbye to the explorer what kind of ride u going to get

I actually just want another explorer or a mountaineer. I know I could run into these problems with another one, but I just want to start fresh. I had found a 2005 mountaineer premier awd v8 w/ 51k miles for $9900 yesterday but I called today and it was sold. The only other thing I would want is an edge but I dont really want car payments so I dont think I will end up with one.

If I were you, I would look at least at a 04+. Getting an 03' you could still run into the same problems you have now. I have had my tranny and transfercase rebuilt. Is your curret Ex paid for?

^ Yeah I paid cash for it, the 03 Im looking at was built later in the year so I was thinking that one might be better. Another coil went tonight on my way home, so I am going to attempt at replacing that one myself but I still want rid of it.

I'd recommend you get a Mounty and I'll tell you why.

I read or heard, one, that since Mercury has fewer levels than Ford the quality is actually better. The source stated this is true amoung other maufacturers too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For what you are looking at spending, it seems cheaper to just fix your Ex as you go along. If you have the money and since the Ex is paid for, I would pick up a new Limited Ex on the 20's(or whatever trim you prefer) because Ford is having nearly 6grand off plus other incentives. Trade you Ex+some cash+rebates=affordable NEW Explorer.

If you were to go to another SUV brand, there is only one worth it to me and that's a used SRT8 Cherokee;) As you can tell, I am more about street than off-road:burnout:

Back