• Register Today It's free!

jbl amp replacement

FHfirefighter

Reaction score
City, State
Hanover, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Sport
Hi, I have the jbl system in my '97, and it appears the subwoofer amp has gone bad. There's no sound from the sub when hooked up normally, but if you hook it up in the place of a regular door speaker it works. All the other speakers work, so I assume it's the sub amp (the silver box between the rear control unit and the sub).

I know NOTHING about audio, so my question is what are my options for fixing this? Do I need to replace the amp with the same ford jbl model or will any amp with the right power specs work? Is there anything else I should consider checking before I buy anything?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have the amp, i removed it from my setup, if you want to purchase it make me a resonable offer, shipping would probably be $8-11

hey, thanks for the offer, but I just got one from a junk yard yesterday. installed it and it works fine... but I would put that thing on e-bay. When I was searching I found a finished auction where one went for $60. (junk yard charged me $25).

oh thats nice to know, i saw an auction for one it was at $10... wow that is nice to know, i might actually put both amps up for auction then

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1997...itemZ8004617604QQcategoryZ38647QQcmdZViewItem

so it was actually $60 for that whole back setup-up (control box, amp, and sub)...but you still should be able to get something decent for just the amp...I would probably have naively paid $60 or $70 for the amp alone if I had been able to find one on e-bay. As a rule I generally don't trust electronics from a junk yard, so that was my last resort.

...then again, explorers with this system are relatively rare it seems, and it only works with '95-'97, plus about half of the people that have one fail are either going to replace it with a better system if they really care about good bass or leave it alone if they don't care at all...so your market is now reduced to the few in the middle like me that want decent bass but aren't serious enough to put 100s or Ks into it...but I'd still say worth a try...

Back