• Register Today It's free!

Jeep axles in explorer?

tom_mcmullen006

Reaction score
City, State
Yelm Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer XLT 4x4
I keep finding cherokee and wrangler axles on craigslist for a steal. Sometimes with complete suspension. I was wondering if these would be good upgrades to my explorer. I have a beefed up trans out of a 97 explorer in mine. I recently took mine wheeling and it was great. Kept up with some k5's the IFS wasnt too bad but I want straight axle. any and all help will be appreciated. thanks guys

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Those axles you are seeing are probably Dana 30's and Dana 35's no increases in strenght there. Not worth the work in my opinion.

If you are going to solid axle go with at the very least a dana 44 from an early bronco. Dana 30's have tiny shafts that break and ring gears that strip teeth. Search your heart out for "solid axle swaps" in the search function on this site and you will be amazed all the different axles people throw under.

Those jeep and wrangler guys would take your rear axle over their rear axle any day. They commonly swap them over

I used a Dana 30 out of a Cherokee for my SAS. It works great but I have broke the front drivers side U-joint 3 times now. The most recent was climbing CJ Hill at Truckhaven yesterday. When the U-joint goes it also takes out the axle shafts so I've learned to just carry a spare already installed on a hub. It only takes about 15 minutes to change one out.

If you don't already have the Dana 30 I would also recommend going with a 44 instead. I'm only running 33's with 4.56 gears but I do have an ARB.

The D30 is ok, but slightly weaker than what you have. My first SAS I used one, once I switched to the stronger late model u-joints I didn't have any trouble. At the same time I knew it was weak and was very gently on the throttle all the time.

Your rear axle is the cream of the crop, it would take a D60 or bigger to make a swap worth it.

The best bang for your buck would be a Jeep Wagoneer front D44, which is slightly wider than your rear and best of all very affordable. Then add wheel adapters/spacers to the rear to make the width and bolt pattern match again.

ok thanks guys. Ive tried to blow my front axle ( the IFS) and it refuses to blow haha. went to some pretty intense trails. Yea. I am trying to find a straight axle for the front. What gears do the 8.8s in the rear run? I looked at the tag and couldnt figure it out. I have an auto in my explorer. its out of a 97 explorer with aftermarket parts installed. I plan on eventually going to a 302/c4-c6 setup so i need an axle to work with that. I will look. thanks guys

I just finished putting a dana 30 in the front of mine I think its pretty ba I got all the parts from rusty's offroad and put an 8.8 out of a newer ex with 3.73 limited slip I have a long arm kit on it and I love it but that's just my opinion lol

i have a d30 i was thinking about swapping in but i dont like haveing any hubs to lock or unlock and thats its weak even on jeeps so thats why id wait for a d44 or d60

you're explorers stock front end is a dana 35. and if i'm not mistaken, the shafts and u joints are larger as well (close to dana 44?) or so i've been told.

a dana 30 would be a considerable downgrade in my opinion.. there is nothing wrong with TTB, in fact, it's quite good. the only advantage of a dana 35 (or smaller) solid axle would be improved articulation at over 4 inches of lift. keep in mind that you're engine cross-member will limit up-travel of a solid axle as well. so if you're 4 inches or lower you'll actually loose travel.

dont' get TTB confused with conventional (crapp) IFS suspension systems. it's leaps and bounds stronger.

now if you're upgrading to a dana 44 or dana 60, that's a different story!

Back