Jeep catalytic converter on Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Jeep catalytic converter on Ford Explorer

Explorer94XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Fresno, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
My '94 Explorer is having trouble passing smog in CA. I've changed the thermostat, both O2 sensors, spark plugs, fuel filter, & motor oil. The results of my most recent smog check show way too much carbon monoxide in the emissions.

A friend of mine is offering me the cat from his Jeep. The Jeep only has 53,000 mi on it. The Jeep is a 2003 rubicon and has a 4.0 L engine and so does my Explorer.

Will this work?

I'm considering buying a universal fit (weld on type) cat for back up. Or is it unnecessary. If I have both welded on should the universal cat go in front or behind of the Jeep cat?

This is sounds crazy, I know, but I think it could work. I just don't know enough about catalytic converters to be sure one way or another.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you should but o.e. replacements on there. the aftermarket weld on ones will fail again and again and agian and in most states dont meet the qualifications to pass inspections in CA.

Yes, OEM is best. Autozone retails the direct fit cat (both front and rear catalytic converters together that can simply be bolted on with no welding required) for $267 plus tax. If I can get a cat that's rated for a 4.0 L engine for free then why not give it a shot? The aftermarket cat could perhaps just go in behind the Jeep cat as a backup. Then perhaps it won't go out quite so fast.

For anyone who doesn't know, my '94 Explorer has two catalytic converters mounted on the single exhaust. Theoretically, the single Jeep cat should be able to do the job, I'm just thinking about putting on a second one for backup.

All cats work the same way and do the same job. some cats are longer than others, and therefore will work better. i prefer to use the long ones if passing is an issue. i would also recommend installing new cats if possible.

if you're in CA, there are some stupid-ass laws governing which specific cats can and can't be used on which vehicles, those laws went into effect a couple years ago, and state that the cat you install has to be "approved" for that vehicle. (basically, more expensive) however if you installed you're cat before that law went into effect, it doesn't matter... (in other words, for all intents and purposes, that cat you're installing tomorrow was installed in 2005 or whatever)

if a cat looks black inside, it's probably bad (too coated with crap to work)

does your check engine light come on? does the truck drive normally? have you tested the EGR valve? have you checked you're fuel pressure and made sure the vac line to the fuel pressure regulator is connected and doesn't have a leak or crack?

then again, if you can get a brand new pair of new cats ready to bolt in for $267 that ain't bad. and saves a lot of work, i'd just do that.

oh, and if you're vehicle came with 2 cats from the factory, you always need to have 2 cats on it. that's part of the visual inspection for smog. so you can't just replace them with one "really good" cat. i've heard the rear cat usually goes bad first, not sure why.

rhauf,

Thanks for the reply and sorry for my delay in responding. I took your advice and bought the correct CAT and went ahead and installed it. Trying to cut corners could wind up biting me in the ass.

The story continues on this thread titled Failed Smog: high HC, high CO, very low NO
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=294006

The problem here in Calif is even before the new law you still could only put on a cat that was approved for that auto all that changed is now all cats sold and installed in Calif are now OB11 compliant and no one can ship sell or install any thing other. So you would not want to get inspected with a jeep cat on an explorer here at all as that would be an instant fail and I was lucky enough to see it happen to some one ahead of me 4 years ago wrong cat and also dual pipes. The Tec was very talkative after words as it had lead to a heated exchange.
Fact is he almost failed me for my universal cat that was sold and installed here in Calif some ten years ago. They have gotten really tight and are sending out all kinds of inspectors to make sure there doing there jobs and not letting stuff pass like they used to. Just a FYI and word of caution to the wise

I would move....

if you live in Cali and cant pass emissions you need a OEM Cali emision standard cat or else your going to have a problem. Even most aftermarket cats wont pass cali level standards. our shop got burnt a few times installing non dealer cats on cali cars

if you live in Cali and cant pass emissions you need a OEM Cali emision standard cat or else your going to have a problem. Even most aftermarket cats wont pass cali level standards. our shop got burnt a few times installing non dealer cats on cali cars
I have to so fully agree! Last time I went threw smog they almost failed me for my universal cat. Now this cat was sold and installed in Calif back in 2002. I was lucky that I still had the recite and in talking with the tic got him to call the ref in sac that also let him know it was still legal as of now but that it could change down the line. Stock was a two cat system and I have one cat now. I know before my next check if I am still living here I will be replacing my cat with a C.A.R.B. approved stock unite!

Back