Jeep Grand Cherokee vs Explorer

1995E

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 + 11 Ex both XLT
So. Do you guys think the Explorer could have done this better?

Also, what bad things could happen if you kept accelerating like that
when you are stuck?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From the looks of it the problem was icy pavement with snow underneath the vehicle making it worse. Spinning wheels on icy pavement while snow underneath helped keep the vehicle in place.

Once my wheels started spinning I would have looked to back out. Other tack to take would have been to steer left onto the snow for more traction from the snow as opposed to icy pavement.

I have found the Ex all-wheel to be just as good as true 4-wheel that I have had in the past for sand and snow. I'm actually quite impressed with it.

The guy in the YouTube wasn't thinking about the best way to get out and just kept repeating the same mistake. Not going anywhere uphill on icy pavement. Back out or use the snow for traction.

If I couldn't drive any better than that, I'd shoot myself.

All four wheels are spinning, which no AWD/4WD system can help you with, especially when stopped. A better driver could have helped, and especially winter tires. So no, I don't think an Explorer would have done better in this instance, since the problem appears to be owner/driver lack of skill and preparedness.

Edit: After watching a little more, I think this is exactly the case. You can see that he's actually parked (parallel) on the side of the road - there's another car parked ahead of him, so his car was definitely sitting on an icy, snow, unplowed part of the road. At one point a Prius passes him. Clearly this guy is one of the (many) who think that 4WD = "go wherever, any conditions", and that gas always equals go. More gas = more go, right?

Tires play a big roll. While we can’t see the tires on the other side, I’m assuming all 4 were spinning. If that’s the case, then I don’t think it matters if it was a Jeep GC or Explorer…except for when he was hung up in the middle(ground clearance).

Why didn’t he back up further right away? That appeared to be a big help.

Also, isn’t the first thing they tell you when you get stuck is to rock the vehicle? He was just standing on the gas hoping it would magically grab and go.

I also agree that the pavement was likely icy and getting on the snow may have helped.

As for bad things that could happen, depending on how you were taxing the PTO(in the Ex), you could overheat it or worse, break it.

That was just all around poor execution by the driver.

I had a 2011 Grand Cherokee and even with the crappy stock Latitude tires it was a lot better in bad weather and mud than the Explorer.

I blame that on ice and poor driving skill. It wasn't the vehicle IMO.

Judging by the way the guy was acting I'd say he was due that problem to add to his already probably horrible day.

Like others have said, don't think the vehicle would have made a difference in that situation... crappy dood with what apparently were crappy tires with a crappy parking location in crappy weather would have had the same affect on any vehicle...

Back