• Register Today It's free!

jerking in the tranny

explorer812

Reaction score
City, State
louisville, kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLT
I know there are a lot of posts about this as i have read about a thousand. However they all refer back to the 4x4 module. I am having the same symptoms as the 4x4 module going bad Jerking in the drivetrain, and loud metal-to-metal sounds from under the car. My 4x4 module was replaced about 6 months ago when i had these same things happening. The truck is doing this again however and the dealership has tested the 4x4 module and it is working fine The only code they could get from the truck was a rear speedo sensor. Could this be the cause of the problem? Also the problem goes away by itself, but then returns on its own. Also the problem seems to be worse(harder jerking and louder noise) when attempting to turn. I do not see the 4x4 light flashing(as it was when the 4x4 module was bad) or the o/d light. This is a 2002 explorer XLT 4.0 V6 4x4 50,000 miles. Any help would be appreciated

True Ford Lover here in Louisville

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So did they change the sensor? If the sensor is bad it will think the rear wheels are slipping or not give the correct signal and apply drive to the front wheels.

:thumbsup: CHANGE that Sensor FIRST!.:thumbsup:

THEN! if....

sounds like your truck is going into 4 wheel drive. Once my module was changed all was good in 4x4 city. maybe your shift motor is jamming or getting stuck and leaving you in 4 wheel drive.

What else has the dealer done?

one temp fix i used to do was disconnect the battery to reset everything and then I could drive not locked in 4 wheel drive. If the module is working then I would feel that the shift motor is not working properly. Have the Dealer check it.

You can test your motor to see if she is working when you have the issue by putting her in neutral and try to select 4low. it should blink then shift to low you will hear the motor. Drive it a few yards (no turns), then shift back to auto (don't forget to go in neutral).

Another thing I have read is to tap the shift motor with a hammer to knock it loose if jammed or stuck.

Change that sensor first and then lets see where your at.
Good luck!

I am having the sensor replaced today I will post my results. The guy at the dealership explained basically the same thing about the rear speedo control. He said it would not do it if i locked it in 4x4.

It will not do what if you locked it in 4x4? But don't,Your gonna kill your front end. The front wheels will try to spin at the same speed on turns and destroy your gears. Keep your truck on auto.

Good luck

he said it would stop the jerking i think he was refering to putting the truck in 4x4 to drive it home/ or to a repair shop verses a tow fee. If he suggested driving it always in 4x4 to avoid the problem i would've smacked him. Could the transmission solenoid be to blame for these symptoms as well?

If he suggested driving it always in 4x4 to avoid the problem i would've smacked him. Could the transmission solenoid be to blame for these symptoms as well?

LOL.....

Oh sorry not a transmission guy here.. Maybe someone will jump on.

But if your getting front end binding when turning and wheel hop, its the sensory telling the truck to be in 4x4 (since the shift module was repladed and check out as working). I would say the sensor, its cheaper than doing anything to the trans.

keep us posted on this.

good luck

ok picked up my truck today put about 20 miles on it, and had the same problem out of it. jerking in the tranny and when i came to a stolight, i came to a complete stop and about 2 seconds later the truck lunged forward. After that the every turn i made there was a "kinking" noise, and a whine from under the car. finally pulled over and when i put it in park it lunged forward again. Started it up 30 mins later when the tow truck arrived, and it didnt make the noise, and no jerking. The service manager at the dealership said they never got it to do it. Whats going on? Does the truck just hate me?lol What should the dealership have checked? As far as i know they just ran codes.:roll:

wow that sucks...

You know my friggin truck lundged forward a few times before too at a stop. If feels like the tranny didn't finish shifting. But that has stopped since my fluid flush. Wow, sorry to hear about all this trouble. Take the tech for a ride with you and drive normally. Those guys never do a normal drive and are gone less thank 5 minutes

Did they check the fluid level or what it looks like. I mean if its black then that might be a indication of an issue.

Wow I hope a transmission guy tunes in.....

If this dealer can't figure it out go to someone else.

wait so they changed that sensor????

the tech told me he drove it 25 miles in total trying to duplicate the noise and jerking and got nothing. They did replace the sensor, but doubt they did anything else. I towed it somewhere else (non dealership) and he has already called me and said he suspects the rear differential. The tech at ford did report metal shavings on the magnet for the sensor, so this guy was gonna pull the new sensor and see if there is already build up on it. He said he has seen 2 explorers with the same problem. Anyway that was his feeling now, but was gonna drive it some more so he could diagnose it better.

Any idea what a rear diff costs? Mechanic said Ford dosent rebuild them anymore So you have to get it new

Wow the rear differential. How would that make the truck lunge forward from a stop?

man bummer !

Surprised no more experienced guys have posted some help yet.

Sorry I can't help you better man.

Good Luck.

Back