Jingling sound from front when hitting a bump? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Jingling sound from front when hitting a bump?

daweave

Reaction score
City, State
Lincoln Park, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XLT
Hi Everyone! This has been driving nuts for the last 5 years I have owned my 93 Explorer. When driving at moderate local speeds if I hit a minor bump I hear a clanging / rattling sound like a handful of coins in a tin can. The sound only lasts for a second or so and is coming from the front end drivers side.

Since owning my explorer I have changed the the following in the front end; wheel bearings, ball joints, brakes, calipers, and rotors, shocks and most recently the radius arm bushings (thanks to the advice on this sight). Every time I make a repair I am hopeful the jingling sound will go away, but never does...

I have checked for loose bolts, parts, etc, but haven't found anything.

Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is a long shot but i had some coils fall in the defrost vent one time it was a PIA to get out when you said it sounds like coins it made me think about it.

Check your sway bar bushings

Hi, What would I look for on the sway bar bushings? They visibly appear to seem ok, and I have tried checking to see if they wiggle.

I had a 85 Merc Marquis, that did that. Everything looked and felt tight until I hit a bump. It was just enough to make them jingle. 1-3" bolt, 2 washers, 1 nut, 1 sleeve, and no bushing.

I worked at a body shop in where we discovered that someone (probably at the Ford factory) had dangled a string with a nut/bolt/washer on the end of it INSIDE the quarter panel. This customer had complained about the noise from it since he'd purchased the vehicle new (about 3-4years previous).....

Have tried "shaking" the vehicle to see if that could be it. I doubt it, but it would be funny.

I'll try that Chris. that would be funny

had the same noise on my '90 2wd F-150. jingling noise when i hit bumps.

I worked at a body shop in where we discovered that someone (probably at the Ford factory) had dangled a string with a nut/bolt/washer on the end of it INSIDE the quarter panel. This customer had complained about the noise from it since he'd purchased the vehicle new (about 3-4years previous).....

Have tried "shaking" the vehicle to see if that could be it. I doubt it, but it would be funny.

this is a good idea for two reasons.
1. if you work at a body shop, and someone is being an ass
2. you want to play a trick on someone that's innocent, but will drive them MAD

i had the same problem with mine. it turned out that the washer on the nut that holds on the coil spring is loose and jingles. like change. maybe yours is the same.

i have a 97 and ever since i bought it, it has made a rattling noise from the back whenever i hit a bump. i started looking around underneath it one day, and it turned out to be a loose bracket that is wrapped around the leaf spring. i don't think there's any way to make it not rattle unless you just tack weld it.

my back shocks are loose where they connect at the bottom. you can wiggle them by hand. they make a hell of a racket when hitting bumps. sometimes it sounds as if its coming from the front

Back