JL Audio Stealthbox or Q-Logic | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

JL Audio Stealthbox or Q-Logic

Jayson

Reaction score
While having our alarm system installed over at Al&Eds Autosound I was looking at all the pre-fab custom enclosures available for autos. Jl Audio and Q-Logic seem to sell the best looking enclosures out there, though there's one thing. The JL Audio Stealthbox costs about $130 more than the Q-Logic box.

I know the Stealthbox ($569.95)comes with a single 10" sub and the Q-Logic ($239.95)comes only with an opening for a 10" sub, but I added in the cost of a single Kicker S10d (10" Solobaric) at $200, bringing up the Q-Logic sub & box total to $439.95. Now that I have two good totals to compare I want to hear what you all say. Which one would you all go with....

JL Audio Stealthbox at $569.95
or
Q-Logic Custom Explorer Enclosure with a Kicker Solobaric 10 sub at $439.95

Thanks,

------------------
Jayson Woodard
San Diego, CA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's all about finding a shop that you can make a deal with. I got my JL box for $350. Be careful, because usually the shops that sell if for less will make you install it with them and they will charge you grip to intall it, which balances out the price so it seems that you didn't even get a discount. The shop I went to let me just buy the box and take it home. But, I decided to have them install it and the install with the amp and all the cables and wiring were about $100. Kinda expensive, but I didn't wanna do it myself and I want to support small businesses. Plus $450 total is pretty good.

The R

Get the q logic box, it will be a hell of a lot better sound. a solo baric is a better sub for small box enclosures. If you want the most thump in the smallest space use a kappa perfect 10, they are between 170 and 250 depending on where you buy them, and they have triple the excursion of other subs, so the single 10 would hit like a 3 10 inch JL box. they move a lot of air. plus they hit lower and cleaner than any other sub, and they look cool. They also have the highest sensitivity of any sub so they put out the most dB per watt, which is always good, pulls the most sound your amp can put out. they dont need HUGE amounts of wattage to move the air, but if you wanted you could throw 1400 watts to a single sub. the solo baric is a good second place to the kappa perfect tho. 1 of those will outhit 2 jls in thier optimum box size, i have tried all of these subs.

The difference you have in the two boxes is plastic and fiberglass. The sub that comes with the Jl box is a better sub than the Jl you buy off the self(w-0)too... The one in the stealth box is a w4-1(I think). I like the idea of the Jl box better.

------------------
Kris Guilbeaux
--
http://www.tisd.net/~guilbeau/explorer.html

I have just purchased the JL Stealthbox last night for 170. This is bran new from a reputable company. I bought the no brainier JL 10W 10 inch sub to go in it for 100. The whole thing cost 270 and some change. They will install it for 90 bucks. I looked at the directions and it doesn’t seem to hard to install. Just very time consuming. My questions are:

1. Should I get a better 10inch sub? Kappa, MTX, SONY etc.
2. Where-O-Where do I connect the sub wires to? I have the factor head unit with CD/Tape/Radio.
3. Were do I get the screen that would cover the Stealthbox after it is installed. It did not come with one. Should it have?

------------------
98 Sport 4.0L SOHC auto
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Follow this link, it'll show you what's involved in installing your new Stealthform:

I think your 'form should have come with a screen to cover it. If not, then you can probably pick one up at the Ford dealer, albeit possibly an outrageous price.

As for the sub, if you like it, keep it. Shags2Dope is totally right about the subs, but I think someone else in here put in a really heavy duty sub, and the excursion was so long that it was rattling and hitting its protective cover. Something to think about, maybe you're not even listeining to it that loud. It would really depend on how much power you're putting into it, which brings up your other question:

You have to wire the sub to an amplifier. If you didn't have a sub in there before, you'll need an amp now. The stereo place, of course, won't ask you if you have an amp, because if you don't, now you're locked into buying one, hopefully from them. Nothing wrong with that. You should focus on buying your amp depending on your sub, and vice versa. They sort of go hand in hand.

Back