John Bull Trail 1/25/04

jobunn

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Santa Clarita, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport 4x4
I am planning on running the John Bull Trail this Sunday with some buddies to test out all the latest mods. One has a new Austrian Pinzgauer (and he has a cabin in Big Bear) and the others have well modded Disco's. Sunday looks like it may have snow flurries up there too so that will add an extra element of interest. Not enough snow to stick I bet, but I love cold anyway.

It will be just a day trip for me, we'll meet first thing in the morning, but I need to get out and bang my Ex up since I missed Truckhaven last weekend.

Any/all are welcome to join us.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Jo,

Is the 'Bull trail currently open? Did you check w/Forest Service on this??

-Ken

Well Ken since you say that I will double check with the Forest Service tomorrow. I was going off of what a buddy said, that it was open now.

If not open we will go out to the desert. Maybe Truckhaven!!!

Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Jo,

Is the 'Bull trail currently open? Did you check w/Forest Service on this??

-Ken

Well I just called the forest service in Big Bear, and the ranger said the John Bull trail is OPEN, but, and I quote her, "Be careful up there because we have had to haul dead bodies out of the area recently." Yikes!!

Apparently there is lots of ice and hikers are falling off the cliffs and/or getting lost.

We'll still go but may not run the whole trail. It may be more of a challenge than I or my truck has cajones for.

Originally posted by jobunn
Well I just called the forest service in Big Bear, and the ranger said the John Bull trail is OPEN, but, and I quote her, "Be careful up there because we have had to haul dead bodies out of the area recently." Yikes!!
John Bull has some big rocks, so just look before you leap...

-Ken

"Be careful up there because we have had to haul dead bodies out of the area recently." Yikes!!

Nice know'n ya buddy!:D

When we find your body and whats left of your truck can I have the Lockers?:p

Originally posted by Stic-o
Nice know'n ya buddy!:D

When we find your body and whats left of your truck can I have the Lockers?:p

Well I guess I wont need them if that happens so you get first dibs. ;)

Our group is up to 4 now, which includes at least 2 vehicles/drivers that have done the trail many times, and neither of them is worried...so I am not either.:rolleyes:

And by the looks of your rig now Ken you should be able to do the trail backwards.

Originally posted by jobunn
And by the looks of your rig now Ken you should be able to do the trail backwards.
I'd like to give it a go once the weather warms up. That ice is nothing to mess with. I'm also gonna be in San Diego Saturday at the Cal4Wheel conference, so, I will be wiped out by Sunday...
-Ken

Back