Just a few questions...lowering 01 Explorer Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just a few questions...lowering 01 Explorer Sport

D

Dr. Anthony

Hey guys. I have a few questions. First off.. this would be my first post :) I've been lurking for a while though.

I have a 2001 Explorer sport 4x4. I currently have 20" wheels with 275/55/20s

I want to lower it, and so far I have been reading about people flipping the torsion bars up front, and blocks in the rear.

since my truck is a 4x4, and with my wider tires.. how low do you suggest I can get?
Also, what is the ride like afterwards?
here are a few pics of my truck so you can decide how low i can go without problems rubbing, or possible problems with my 4x4 setup??

explorer%20005.jpg

explorer%20010.jpg

explorer%20011.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is hard to tell from those pictures, but it doesn't look like your wheels stick out very far. Looking from the front or back (down the side) does it look like the tires are flush with the outer edge of the finder or sitting a litte deeper in the fender well? If they are not flush you shouldn't have any problems with them hitting/rubbing your fenders from bumps. That would suggest that you will be able to get pretty low with very little problem from the tires.

I haven't looked at the '01's in a long time. Do they have T-bars up front? Do they still have the straight axle, or was this after the change to IRS?

If that is the case you will not be able to do the rear with blocks. Coors, am I reading right that the rear has torsion bars as well?

If that is the case Anthony, you will only need to find the adjuster screws and take a few turns out until you get your desired stance. You probably won't be able to get much like that though for two reasons. First, you will probably only get about 2" even with the screw all the way out (that's how the front worked on the older trucks). Second, if memory serves me, the axles run through the frame rails on the rear. I'm not sure how much travel that will allow before causing problems.

The adjustment shouldn't take more than 30 min for the whole thing if you know what you are looking for. I say go out and try it, worst thing that could happen is that you will have to screw them back in.

I just looked at the pics again, and I see leaf springs on the rear. Your drop will be exactly like the T-bar/block set-up's that you have been reading about. I guess the Sports kept the leaf pack longer than the 4dr's did.

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm still unsure as to exactly what everyone is referring to "removing the bolt"

this is the first truck I've actually messed around with. i usually have supercharged mustangs :p

Go here and look at the first picture: http://projectx.bravepages.com/gxtech/drop.html (sorry about the pop-ups)

Try and locate that section somewhere under your doors. There will be a bolt sticking out a little pointing toward the ground. i don't have a picture of it b/c I had already removed it from my truck priopr to that write-up.

Good luck, and let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

Back