• Register Today It's free!

Just a few questions

GPNyce

Reaction score
City, State
Nashville, Tenn
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
Ok, i am looking to get 33 inch tires...and i plan on regearing to 4.56 gears. i currently have a 3.55 ratio, with an open diff. now, if i plan on getting a locker also, does it matter that mine is not limited slip? also, i have the
5r55e auto tranny...how well do you think that will work with the new gearing and 33's? oh, and do you guys recommend buying a locker for the front or rear...or both? this is my daily driver, so it has to do well on the highway and around town, but i do want the capability for wheelin. thanks everyone,

Greg.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, i am looking to get 33 inch tires...and i plan on regearing to 4.56 gears. i currently have a 3.55 ratio, with an open diff. now, if i plan on getting a locker also, does it matter that mine is not limited slip? also, i have the
5r55e auto tranny...how well do you think that will work with the new gearing and 33's? oh, and do you guys recommend buying a locker for the front or rear...or both? this is my daily driver, so it has to do well on the highway and around town, but i do want the capability for wheelin. thanks everyone,

Greg.

Don't get the tires before the gears.
4.56 gears with 33's will work great. Having an open differential makes it easier/cheaper to install a locker. It's called a "lunchbox" style locker that goes inside the open carrier. Search Aussie locker, will only cost around $240. Rear only, especially for a daily driver.
Be forewarned, if your explorer is a 4x4 it's going to cost $1200-1300 for someone to re-gear the truck.

Don't get the tires before the gears.
4.56 gears with 33's will work great. Having an open differential makes it easier/cheaper to install a locker. It's called a "lunchbox" style locker that goes inside the open carrier. Search Aussie locker, will only cost around $240. Rear only, especially for a daily driver.

thanks for the quick reply...i plan to get everything at once. whats the difficulty of install with the gears and the locker?

thanks for the quick reply...i plan to get everything at once. whats the difficulty of install with the gears and the locker?

The locker itself is pretty straight forward. But gears require special tools and someone with experience to get them set up properly, never tried it myself.

upgrade the tranny via glaciers 5r55e rebuild diary

Back