Just Bought A 1996 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just Bought A 1996 Explorer

SWADE23

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 EDDIE BAUER
Its A V8 Eddie Bauer Edition, Red W/tan Interior. It Looks Great!!! Engine Compartment Looks Clean W/no Leaks, Drives Great As I Can Tell. The Seller Even Has All The Receipts From Matainence That He's Done Since He Bought It. The Engine Has 155k On It, Its $3500 And We Left A Deposit...

We Are Picking Up The Car From The Seller By The Weekend....

My Question Is: Is There Anything I Should Pay Particular Attention To Or Ask About Before The Sale Is Final ???

Please Any Help Would Be Appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The typical problems are relatively minor to repair--

Listen for an exhaust leak on the passenger side manifold-(slight ticking sound under load)

Do a few repeated reverse to drive movements-allow the truck to travel about 15 feet in both directions-listen for a thunk under the driver's feet-

Check the jack compartment-pull the jack out and check it's operation-look for corrosion-
check the operation of the spare tire mechanism-just to be sure you have all the tools-

Switch the key to the on position-just to be sure the "check engine " light is operational.

Be sure to ask about the owners manual-they might have it stashed somewhere-

Look the rear shackles over well for rust-

Welcome to the forum-where are you located?

Welcome to the forum, and hope your X is trouble free!

Im From Queens In The Great State Of New York... Thanks For The Tips Listed Above... Well I Checked It Out Yesterday And Didnt Come Across Any Problems As Listed Above, Although I Didnt Ask For The Manual On The Car But I Will... The Trucks Physical Appearance Is About An 8.5 Out Of 10 And Drives Great, Nothing To Complain About.

I Never Owned A Ford, Neither Did My Lady, I Just Hope Im Not Buying A Lemon...

I have a 96 and have been VERY HAPPY with my Explorer.
You should have many trouble free miles on your new ride!

Congratulations! welcome to one of the most dedicated owners clubs anywhere!!!

Make sure the HVAC will blow both hot and cold

check the parking brake, even if its an automatic and you wont use it, good way to bring the price down, lower the spare tire down and make sure it goes back up haha.

Congratulation on the new truck.

I just have one question though...Why Do You Capatalize Every Word You Type? It Kind Of Makes It Hard To Read Your Post.

Don't forget the power seats!!! you're going to need them! Working headlights, taillights, signals and check if the tires has tread on them! and last oil change date.

As stated early make sure the AC/heat works properly. This includes making sure the venting (floor, defrost, .etc) works properly. There are many horror stories about the infamous 'blend door' problem.

the blend door problem, there are a lot of tutorials on this forum that will guide you through the whole process, plus it's not too often that you see on a lot of the trucks out there. and look, Brakes are one of the most important part of the truck, make sure they are NOT WORN out and ask for the last time it was replaced/changed/repaired, and make sure the brake fluid is topped off - this is coming from my horror story that i had about the brake lines leaking fluid out on the highway.
**** even make sure there is a least a half a tank of gas in there!!!

No, Steeda90GT, The Real Question Is Why DONT YOU Capitalize Every Word You Type? Your Posts Are Too Easy To Read.

Back