Just bought a 2007 Sport Trac XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just bought a 2007 Sport Trac XLT

USFguy

Reaction score
City, State
Originally Daytona Beach but now Tampa FL for school.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'07 Sport Trac XLT
Just traded in a 2004 Colorado :crazy: for a 2007 Sport Trac and I'm wanting to mod it. Basically I have a list in my head I'd like to do and thought this would be the best place to ask.

1) Unchrome the gill matching it to the paint of the truck and installing black mesh with the Ford oval. Has this been done? I saw the tutorial on how to paint the grill but what about the mesh?
2) Is there anyway to blackout the headlights?
3) Cold Air Intake, lots of options but what is the best for it's price?
4) How do I get this thing to sound like a V6 instead of a hybrid? Muffler or full out exhaust?

And also with numbers 3 and 4 do I have a chance at increasing my MPG with one or both of those?

Well those are my first round of questions, and here is a picture of what I bought!
149859_477984608480_502313480_5684037_5232232_n.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome and nice sport trac

welcome,
1. never seen a ST with a mesh grille, but go for it!
2. you can black out your headlights by replacing them with Sport Trac Adrenalin headlights...or the hard way of opening them up and painting them
3. I think Volant and K&N make CAI, and I've heard they do increase your MPG with exhaust, as long as you don't drive harder since you can hear it better

welcome,
1. never seen a ST with a mesh grille, but go for it!
2. you can black out your headlights by replacing them with Sport Trac Adrenalin headlights...or the hard way of opening them up and painting them
3. I think Volant and K&N make CAI, and I've heard they do increase your MPG with exhaust, as long as you don't drive harder since you can hear it better

Awesome, the grill idea came from the Satoshi grill mod done by Tacoma owners.
Came up with a couple more questions.

1) What are the back windows tinted at to the factory? Or what have most of you gone with for front tint?
2) Any recommendations on in-channel vent visors?

I'm not sure what the tint % is for the factory but I left it the same since my old truck had a 5% tint and I couldn't see out of it at night to back up, and I just added legal tint to the front windows because I was pulled over 4 times for tint in my old truck and was tired of it.
...and I dont know about in-channel vent visors, I've seen them around and I think (not positive) you can buy ones for the same year model explorer and it will work

1. You could just ask your dealer who they use for paint work, and then have those people color match your grille, but I would do the mesh grille yourself. Find a mesh you like, and then just cut it to fit the grille space, then use your original Ford badge and just epoxy it on the mesh, but either be precise in measuring or use some of those laser tools to make sure you center the badge when you glue it.
4. Last I remember Gibson made an exhaust system that some 4.0L owners were happy with, costs about $400.

I actually know a fair amount of people that went to USF, but I'm in Georgia now. Good luck with your ST. But, why leave the Colorado? They have a lot more aftermarket. No matter, you got an ST now.

Awesome, the grill idea came from the Satoshi grill mod done by Tacoma owners.
Came up with a couple more questions.

1) What are the back windows tinted at to the factory? Or what have most of you gone with for front tint?
2) Any recommendations on in-channel vent visors?
I'm running AVS (Auto Vent Shade) in-channel vent visors in my 07 Limited and they work great & look great. I have them on the front & rear windows. Also running AVS' hood deflector, which I like except on the hood deflector "AVS" is embossed in white paint that I could do w/o. I bought them all here:

http://www.autoanything.com/deflectors/60A1739A0A0.aspx

I'm running AVS (Auto Vent Shade) in-channel vent visors in my 07 Limited and they work great & look great. I have them on the front & rear windows. Also running AVS' hood deflector, which I like except on the hood deflector "AVS" is embossed in white paint that I could do w/o. I bought them all here:

http://www.autoanything.com/deflectors/60A1739A0A0.aspx

Now would I have to get 2 sets from that link (one for front one for rear) or are all 4 packaged together?

And would a cold air intake from an 07 Explorer with the 4.0 v6 mount the same on the Sport Trac?

It's a set of 4 shades, 2 for front & 2 for rear windows.

Don't believe a V6 air intake will fit a 4.6 V8 but there are intakes made for my 2007 Sportrack V8.

It's a set of 4 shades, 2 for front & 2 for rear windows.

Don't believe a V6 air intake will fit a 4.6 V8 but there are intakes made for my 2007 Sportrack V8.

Thanks for the info about the shades. I have a 4L V6 Sport Trac

I have the same vent shades and bug deflector, put them on all my trucks.
Frankly there aren't a lot of parts available for '07-up Tracs. AFAIK there is no cold air available, but the stock intake is essentially a CAI anyway. Just get a K&N replacement filter and call it good. I did.
I have a Gibson cat-back exhaust. Sounds good, easy to install, and I picked up 3 mpg on the highway. City mpg is no different.
Also an Explorer Ironman grill will fit but the cost and installation will be kinda spendy.

Back