Just bought an '07 eb 4.6L 3v, any advice? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just bought an '07 eb 4.6L 3v, any advice?

Robman

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Sport 4.0L OHV 5spd
Any advice from the gurus about my latest purchase? 200 000km on the odometer, paid $2000cdn.

Should I use 5w20 or 5w30 full synthetic?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would use the weight the factory calls for. I have a 4.0 which uses 5w-30 and says so on the oil cap. I would guess your 4.6 also has it marked on the cap. Older OHV engines were less fussy about oil weight than these OHC IMO.

Ive read the slightly thicker 30 weight was better than the 20w for these? Guess not though as it does call for 5w20.

Any other general advice from 4th gen owners?

Any advice from the gurus about my latest purchase? 200 000km on the odometer, paid $2000cdn.

I use 5w30 full synthetic oil in my Mountaineer and Mustang GT without any issues. The important thing is to get the transmission serviced by doing a fluid drain and filter replacement. Then drain and refill the transfer case. I recommend replacing all the other fluids too (front/rear differentials, coolant, brake fluid and power steering fluid). This will give you the best chance of getting the most miles from it going forward. Also, it is probably way overdue for a change of spark plugs. I found that the plug gaps on mine were double the spec at 120k miles and changing them made the engine run much better and get 1-2 more MPG. Just be careful changing the plugs as they can break off (if they are original) and you'll need an extractor to remove them from the head. Replace them with the updated plugs that do not cause this problem. The good thing about the 4th gen V8 models is the drivetrain will typically run well beyond 300k miles if it is well maintained.

my lifters like 10w30 much better than 5w20. been running 10w30 for years with good results...

my lifters like 10w30 much better than 5w20. been running 10w30 for years with good results...
Many think that 5w30,, or possibly 10w30, also is better for the operation of cam phasers and VVT solenoids. Also, the main reason Ford spec'ed 5w20 in the 4.6L 3V engines was for the very minor improvement in gas mileage the thinner oil provides. Automakers will do almost anything to squeeze out a few tenths of an MPG more. Things like turning off the engine at a stoplight and restarting it when pressing the gas pedal.

I use 5w30 full synthetic oil in my Mountaineer and Mustang GT without any issues.
While I don't disagree, he does live in the Canada which may be a good bit colder than your area. Also, I find it strange that my 4.0 uses 5w-30 and your 4.6 5w-20.

While I don't disagree, he does live in the Canada which may be a good bit colder than your area. Also, I find it strange that my 4.0 uses 5w-30 and your 4.6 5w-20.
IIRC, Ford also back-spec'd your 4.0L to use 5W-20, but I'd still stick with 5W-30 in PA.

Oil got better than it was 15+ years ago, and there's the fuel economy issue that 94Eddie mentioned, but otherwise, running 5W-20 in Ontario is about the same as running 5W-30 in PA. In Canada I might even go for a 0W-20 full synthetic depending on how leaky the engine is.

The modular V8 motors were designed to use 5w20. Synthetic is a good choice for our climate. Also a good filter like the motorcraft FL820s.

Back