Just got a '95 Explorer, anything I need to know, or look for? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just got a '95 Explorer, anything I need to know, or look for?

bigwillie77

Reaction score
City, State
Oklahoma City, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Explorer XLT
Hi guys, I just received a 95 Explorer 4x4 4.0L V6 with 93k on it. Is there anything I should look out for or any problems with the engine I should know about? I've heard that some 4.0L were prone to having cracked heads, hopefully there not a prone to cracked heads as my previous 2.9L Bronco II. I hope you guys don't mind answering a neiwbies questions. Oh yeah I don't know if this is the forum to ask this question or not but is it to switch to synthetic motor oil in Explorer? I think it mostly had oil changes at the dealership with Motorcraft with the previous owner. Thanks.

ball joints, just had mine done at 134K. those are supposed to be a commonly replaced part, replacements generaly have a fitting and are greasable un-like factory. you should look up recalls and tsb's for your year. a lot of people swear by synthetics here on this site, including aldive who has achieved over 34mpg with his modified 4x2 sohc explorer.

To that I would add the shocks probably need to be checked and replaced if unsure about age, i would definetely replace them if they are factory installed. Also bushings in the front, and maybe sway arm bushings should be replaced. I would definitely replace them if you get a creaking noise going over bumps at low speeds. If you have a clunk doing the same manuever I believe you need to replace the ball joints. I have 92k on my ex and need to replace the bushings in the front. When I received my ex I changed the tranny fluid, radiator fluid, changed the oil and greased anything that needed to be greased. I also replaced the shocks, front and rear brake pads and front rotors. Now that I replaced all that and have a starting point for the basic mx. issues I am moving on to mods. i would suggest that as the best way to go. I still consider myself a newbie on this site and don't understand my ex as well some of the veterans on this site so I may be a little off on my suggestions or left some things out, but I am sure someone else will fill in the blanks. :D

Your '95 has the 4.0 OHV engine....Aldive has the 4.0L SOHC.....you won't get the kind of mileage that he does.....just cause of your engine. Though, he does have alot to say about mileage mods......read his thread......alot of good info there.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44372

Aloha, Mark

Back