93k on '95 Explorer, Can I Still Switch to Full Synthetic? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

93k on '95 Explorer, Can I Still Switch to Full Synthetic?

bigwillie77

Reaction score
City, State
Oklahoma City, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Explorer XLT
Hi guys I have a '95 Explorer XLT 4x4 with 93k on it, can I still switch to synthetic with this mileage? The oil previousley used has been almost all Motorcraft which I beleive is a synthetic blend, so should a full synthetic like Mobil 1 be okay?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it has been properly maintained to this point you should have no problem switching to a full synthetic. I use Mobil 1 5W-30 Truck & SUV w/ a motorcraft filter with no problem.

Mobil 1 would be fine but if it makes you feel better with the miles on it, Valvoline makes a synthetic Max Life.

Im sure these couple of members are correct however, I had a 93 3.0 ohv taurus with 98k on it, I switched to synthedic and it started leaking oil all over the driveway. someone told me that synthedic is ultra thin compared to conventional motor oil and therefore it can seep throught gaskets and leak out.. not sure if it was just coincidence but thats what I can offer.

My XLT has 176k miles on it. Is it possible to use synthetic if I replace all the gaskets first? Does that take care of the leaks?

Had 120,000 miles on my 96 when I switched to synthetic. Not a single leak.

i switched my '96 at 83k miles(9k miles ago) it never leaked one drop before and it has not leaked one bit after. i see no reason why you could not switch if you've taken care of it.

Switched it on my 95 when it had 105k miles. Not one leak at all.

I've also switched to synthetic with high mileage (Mobile 1), but used a 0-30 oil that makes the engine sound a little louder than it should. It seems to consume the oil much faster than the thicker ones, but saves a little more on gas mileage. If you feel more comfortable using a thicker grade, then try that first with the synthetic oil. You could always switch to a thinner oil if you don't have any problems.

I have always had good luck with synthetic even in the vehicles I’ve had that are in the 100,000-mile range. So if it has been maintained you should be fine.

One thing that I forgot to mention before was that I had a lot of build up in my engine, because the previous owner never maintained it. I kept clogging up oil pumps, and oil pressure sending units. After using the synthetic oil, it seems to be back to normal now.

I see no reason not to switch and a plethora of reasons to.

Good luck ....

Back