Just got back from Oil Change and found oil on floor | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just got back from Oil Change and found oil on floor

G37.......

Did you get this taken care of?

I jacked up the EX and fixed it myself. The Oil drain plug was only hand-tightened, and that is where majority of oil came out. Torque it myself to 25lbs and doesn't leak anymore. As far as the oil filter, I think the tech just didn't wipe it down, it is pretty tight and I don't see any more oil comes out, so I didn't have to do anything.
After all that, I read the dipstick and see how much oil was missing, about 1/4 of a quart, so I just topped it off with oil I have in the garage.

Both the good service advisor, and the manger of the service department of the dealer called me and told me to bring the car in and they will fix it for me.

I don't have time to do drop the EX off, wait for them to get a tech to look at it, "fix it" and give the car back to me. That is probably an hour + off time that I don't really have. Plus the fact that I strongly believe if I bring the EX back to them they will just over torque everything to make sure it doesn't leak.

They both did verbally offer me a free oil change next time, to compensate my troubles. I didn't accept it because I know I will probably start changing oil myself.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...or go to a different dealer- that place is completely inept.

Seriously- they offered you a free oil change to compensate for an oil change that they couldn't do correctly last time. No offense, but you can't touch my car the next time for something you couldn't do right the last time. Wow...

Glad you got it fixed though, that first peek of oil had to be extremely un-nerving.

You should say that you will take free oil and filter and you will do it right the next time...

That's an even better idea... :)

Oh wow. I'm about to drop off my Ex to the same dealer for the 7500 mile maintenance in the morning. Now I'm thinking twice.

Don't. Find another one- no reason to reward them for confirmed poor service.

Sad when a dealership can't even change oil right. I was changing oil when I was eight.
Problem usually is that they consider this job to be "below" the line mechanics, who don't want to touch it because they can't make any money on it, so it gets shuffled off to a trainee or even worse one of the porters. I've seen them take oil filters off, not notice that the gasket from the old one is still stuck to the block, and just screw the new one on. Looks like your drain plug is either loose or they cackled up the gasket. Hopefully it's nothing worse than that.

One more reason that I do my own oil changes.

Back