• Register Today It's free!

Just got back from towing trip..

dmaster79

Reaction score
City, State
Canton, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Explorer XLS 4x4
I have good news and well a question or two. I've had my ex for about a month now and definitely am loving it. I bought the ex for a few main reasons, mostly due to the price of gas I went with the sohc 4L, I do some moderate towing about a half of dozen times a year. Moderate I mean less then 300 miles round trip towing at the most 3k lbs. I just got back this weekend from an atv ride which was about 80 miles south of me, I will say I was quite suprised from my older ex with the 4.0 ohv. it pulled very nice, towing about 2700lbs, I could maintain 70 up hills, and even at a point passed a few other trucks towing up hills. I would never attempted this with my old ex. I guess my question involves towing though, I really haven't towed too much, but how do you determine your tongue weight. I tried to even it out on the axle of the trailer, but pulling 3 quads and firewood it made it kinda tough. I just put a hitch on, it was not equipped with one, got a hidden hitch which looks real nice. I did notice after this trip though, the receiver on the hitch moved downwards about a 1/4 inch. I wasn't sure if this was normal since it was a new hitch that was never towed with before. I'm guessing it was just breaking in, after the trip back I looked at it again after unloaded and it hasn't moved any more. Any comments in reguards to this would be helpful though...thanks

You better tighten that hitch, it shouldnt move at all.

The OHV 4.0L tows very well, not as well as the SOHC but it can still maintain in the mountains. :)

Back