Just got into a 99 Exploder | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Legion Prime

Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Eddie Bauer
I have previously owned a 94 Mazda pickup (rebadged Ranger basically) and probably added a good decade of life onto my ex's 96 Explorer (wiper blades, washer nozzle, full brake rebuild including hoses & proportioning valve, rear end service & ABS sensor, water pump, hamster wheel, coolant flush & periodic oil changes). Between that & busting my knuckles for a couple years in Ford dealerships I know my way around them.
Yesterday I picked up a 99 Explorer Eddie Bauer off Craigslist for $1500. 151,000 and it's been spanked on the pass rear corner, not too bad though. I'm taking it into the dealer tomorrow to see how bad I got screwed (just bein honest :D ). For the price I expect problems, however as long as I can get it up to snuff to pass inspection I am fairly confident that this car is worth the investment.
The car is not bad for the price, and I obviously want to do as much work myself as I can. I no longer have lift access nor do I have my tools accessible beyond what I tinker around the house & my store with (drill, screwdriver, saw, pliers etc.). I plan on doing the PCV, air & fuel filters, serp belt and if possible, spark plugs.
The problems I have found so far:
-Pass mirror is busted, no glass & it's loose on the mount.
No big deal, TYC Part # 3020332 less than $40 shipped from Rock Auto
-Can feel the trans shift, slight bump like one tire is going over a piece of rebar laying in the road
Hoping a trans flush will do the trick, need to decide between AAMCO or paying $180 at the dealership. If not I start looking for a filter & valve body
-Shimmy starting faintly @65, noticeable @70, worse @75 & 80
Probably a bearing, hopefully nothing worse. Not sure if I can do it myself with 4WD, eatin that alone will hurt
-Premium sound stereo, display is out, sub is missing from the back, 1 terminal broken off harness, changer appears to only load disc #2
No idea what I'm going to do about the display or changer. The sub I expect I'll get specs on & look at aftermarket speakers (have to check to see if the enclosure & amp are still there) and the terminal I can replace no sweat
I have however found the code for the keyless entry, hat tip to Xan. Big help when all my books are stowed in MI. Next I start looking for a spare key & a remote for when I misplace my key/lock my key in the car. This is not a matter of if but when (do I know me or what? ;) ).
This intro post turned out to be a lot longer than I expected. I will however try to keep it updated as I find out more & get things fixed & hopefully get some pics up soon. I will do my best to answer any questions and any suggestions & advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Just heard back from the dealership. I got my oil changed & they recommend coolant & brake flushes. I'll get to them in a week or two, and I may get the oil changed again as well (I suspect the seller had just been hitting the oil life reset button). They said that the tires were worn unevenly & would need to be replaced soon. I had felt some chop in the LF tire, apparently I'll have to do them all & get an alignment. Tuesday I run over to AAMCO for a trans diag & possibly flush. I am contemplating shelling out the extra $50 for synthetic.
I am off to tirerack.com to do some window shopping.

Back