Just lowered now creaking suspension what gives? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just lowered now creaking suspension what gives?

Eastcoastmod

Reaction score
City, State
Halifax,
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Limited 4.6
Heh all. I lowered the truck last week. New shocks and lowering springs.
Only 1.75 fron and 1.5 rear. I have developed a creaking when I go over bumps and when I pull away. I even hear it when stearing. Doesn't sound like the stearing rack but it's loud enough to be annoiying. Any ideas what it could be. I eyeballed the bushings when I did the springs . Everything looked ok to me.

2003 limited 4x4 4.6

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Go to a real quiet area and listen to the front while pushing a bit on the bumper-if you hear the sound ( almost like geese in the distance) it is probably the ball joints protesting.

If only I knew what "gueese in the distance" sounded like. :)

Shot in the dark but when I put on my new wheels I had somehow tightened the front ones onto the hub in such a way that the wheel was not centered correctly. It made a creaking noise like what you're describing.

To fix it I removed the wheels and re-installed them, taking care to make sure the lugnuts were tightened as much as possible when the wheels where in the air. After lowering them to the ground, I finished torquing the lugnuts to 105 ft/lbs and the noise went away.

Creaks like "rusty bedsprings" were balljoints on my Ex. Side note, could be your Ex is unhappy it has been lowered. Lifted on the other hand, you would probably hear something more like "giggles of glee in the distance".....

If only I knew what "gueese in the distance" sounded like. :)

C'mon, surely you have heard a gaggle of geese before--

gaggle-of-geese.jpg

ive never lowered my truck, but i also experienced a squeaking noise everytime i took off from a stop, or came to a hard stop. like an old bed spring. i sprayed my rear leafs with some wd-40 and it went away. dont know if that will help you, but just thought id share. good luck.

Good Point, I went thru a few cans of WD thinking I might find the leak, never went away though, Ball Joints were bad. But definitely worth a try!

A very common problem is the bushings on the swaybars dry up and squeak. I have it happen to mine everynow and then and I just soak the bushing with WD40.

Lowering could have added a little more stress and making the squeaking more pronounced. Soak them up really good and see if that helps.

I've been driving it for about two weeks now with the new spings. The squeaking has settled some but is still there. I can't get any noises just pushing on the truck. It sounds just like that dorm room bed during frosh week when I pull away or go over a bump at slow speeds. I'll try to lube it up today and see if it works.

I've been driving it for about two weeks now with the new spings. The squeaking has settled some but is still there. I can't get any noises just pushing on the truck. It sounds just like that dorm room bed during frosh week when I pull away or go over a bump at slow speeds. I'll try to lube it up today and see if it works.

Dorm room bed, freshman week and lube..............to much information! :p:

Hopefully you'll get those squeaks worked out, on the Ex that is;)

lower ball joints were crap. had about 1.5 inch of play....yikes

Back