Just need a little advice...

isaacs23

Reaction score
City, State
Oxford, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
Hello Folks,

I just recently discovered this site and have been consistantly checking it for about 2 weeks now and I can't seem to find anyone that has asked my particular question. I have a '95 Explorer XLT, 4.0, 4WD, automatic. I have replaced the engine and the trans. I had some trouble with the torque converter and the trans lining up, I think. I was always able to put the converter on the engine and then put the transmission on. Tried it that way, but the pump in the transmission didn't work, I took it all back out examined both shafts on the trans appear to be in good shape as does the converter. I don't THINK I broke anything. My question I guess is, is that common? After trying to reinstall the converter I did notice how it seats itself on both shafts and I believe I have it in properly now, but I haven't been able to test it yet. So, I was just wondering if anyone may have had this problem before. Obviously, if the converter wasn't seated properly the pump wouldn't work, right? I'm pretty good with engines, but I'm lost on transmissions. Any help would be appreciated.

I don't know alot about these transmissions in general but when I put a new tranny/torque converter in my chevy V8(1971 nova 350w/350turbo trans) I had to spin the torque converter to get it to seat all the way on the transmission shaft. Did you have to do that? Just a thought. Like I siad dont know much but hope it helps. Good Luck

Yes. Seat the torque converter into the transmission, then bring engine to it. Torque converter nuts are last to be installed, after the bell housing bolts are all snug.

I've done this and I have heard of quite a few people do this and that is we break the front pump trying to mount the transmission while the torque converter isn't seated properly... More than likely if you got the transmission all the way on and ran the truck and the pump didn't work, then the front pump might be busted... I don't think these are that hard to break anyways... Your best bet is to pull the front pump and examine the gears... If it is busted what I had done was go find a matching core transmission at a junk yard, pulled the front pump. I switched the gears with the gears on the one I pulled out of the junkhard because the external part of the put was badly rusted from being out in the elements all this time...

Back