just put in a cap tell me what you think of the install | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

just put in a cap tell me what you think of the install

djstatix

Reaction score
City, State
Killeen, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 explorer sport
151996001eUdrjc

well check the webshots link out i cant figure out how to post it right.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks clean, although I think the cap is overkill.
How does the box sound facing down like that?

It would look much better if you cleaned up the wiring.

Yeah hide some of that wirering! Looks clean though dispite the wires

how should i hide them? i have no idea. i just made them look as nice as possible...why would the cap be overkill?

yeah, downward firing subs sound great. that box is lifted up by the way to show the speakers thats all. i hope you didint think the box was positioned like that normaly.

You could hide the wiring by making a housing that is the same height as the amps and cut holes out to show the amps and release heat.

run the wires under the carpet?

wire loom and zipties work in a pinch. As do nicely applied electrical and duct tape wrappings (though the wires are pretty colors and they'd hide that).

Just try to smooth them and cinch the bundles every few inches with a ziptie.

And remember, don't run power and signal wires together.

Thanks everyone.

how do those jl w3's work for you?

and how much power are you giving them, with what wiring configuration with that amp?

I am looking at getting some w3v2's (thats what those are right) and I am curious what you think of them. I will be getting 10's, but thats close enough.

Thanks, nice looking install btw, I am not sure either how you could hide the wiring, but at least they are nice colors.

750w at 2 ohms pushing those speakers. downward firing sealed enclosure box too. sounds great. ya can here me like 2 blocks away with those things. i think i went a bit over kill with this setup. i never play it at full volume. i would be deaf if i did so in a matter of miniutes.

the sound is great if you like tight punchy bass.

Can you tell a big differance with the cap installed as far as sound quality goes?

Oh, and would you say these are better subs for quality, or just loudness? (which do you prefer as well)

I think there has been a minor improvement on bass sustain and seems a bit more punchy. i could be wrong might have just been the differnt cd in the deck. i was told that the cap will let my battery and alternator breath a bit easier and supply the amps a more constant voltage. I like the JL w03's quite a bit. I would have got the w06's if i had had the money at the time and a bigger amp. but i think what i have is overkill any way right now.

BTW its a Tsunami 2.0 F capacitor and my alternator is pushin out about 13.75 volts to it when engin is running.

I wish there was a nicer way to install the amps or hide them a bit more. If there was a kit to add on my back seats for this i would love to know about it.

I dig your speaker grills BTW. Do they light up? and where did you get those...?

2 farad! dear lord man

Yeah, the grills I made myself out of plexi, more info on the site. I am planning on doing some touch up work on my install in a few weeks or so, which will include some fatmat/brownbread, maybe some new JL's :p, and I am going to add some vinyl or some sort of black matting behind the plexi where the car door (and soon the fatmat) is showing, and I am gonna put some led's behind there to get a little glow in there. Should be nice, if I can make it all work.

yeah 2 farad is kinda over kill but it was only like 150 and if i upgrade my amps or setup later it will come in handy. im a sucker for shiny chrome things too. :)

I don't think 2 farad is overkill, I use 1 farad per 500W RMS as wired. If he's got 750W just for the subs (assuming that was the continous power rating. I always post power in continous(RMS) values as that's what matters most.) then that amp alone would need 1.5 farads. So the extra .5 farads for up to 250W RMS for the other amp.. Sounds like he's right on target.

Even if the 750W was posted as max power, then yea, it would be overkill but more is never bad in caps. Less would be... but more doesn't hurt. What they do is basically try to act like a high-voltate, high-speed battery for the amps. When an amp need a burst of current, the alternator can't supply it fast enough and the battery is too slow, so the cap dumps it's stores in the chain and then re-loads off the alternator on the other cycle of the amp when it doens't need current. It doesn this hundreds or thousands of times per second. This effectively filters and conditions the power supply to the amp and reduces the power-drain on the other automotive electronics. This does NOT however fix the issue of an under-powered alternator. Think of a cap as a filter and stabalizer, not a power-source.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back