Just started rebuilt 4.0 - Rod knock? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just started rebuilt 4.0 - Rod knock?

Went ahead and started it after work and held it at 2k rpms for 15-20 minutes to break the cam in.

Roller cams don't have a break-in period, only flat tappet ones do.

Fyi its not good to run a fresh motor with just cats and a two foot pipe.you can damage rings and valves

How?

Been very busy the last month or so and finally got around to looking at the Ex.

Traced more than half of that buzzing noise back to being the damn PCV Valve! I pulled the valve, put my finger over it, and that incessant buzzing went away! Stupid Autozone replacement valve is crazy noisy compared to the stocker. That little metal ball really makes a racket. I plan on cleaning out the stock valve and putting it back in.

I still have some slight valvetrain noise - its pretty uniform between both valve covers, passenger side might be a tad louder, but I'm starting to worry less about driving the truck. Its nothing shockingly loud - definitely louder that before I rebuilt the motor, but a tolerable level of noise that doesn't make me think this engine is a ticking timebomb. I might just have to accept this minor valvetrain sewing-machine type noise and see if it quiets down a bit over time. It sure seems to be running smooth and with power.

Thinking that some of the lifter noise is due to aftermarket cam/ lifters being completely pulled apart/ not primed? I can live with the noise as long as it's not detrimental mechanically.

Still have to get the brakes bled (let the 4WABS pump get air in it), and get an alignment before I can take it down the road.

Back