Just to be sure - Timing SOHC camshaft ??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just to be sure - Timing SOHC camshaft ???

Flash

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Brisbane Australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Limited
I'm about to fit a replacement engine to my '97 limited, the old engine out of my '97 XLT.

I replaced the timing chains and did something wrong and bent some valves.
The head was repaired and sent back to me with marks to line up so the cam timing was right but the mark came off the cam.

So, number 1 cylinder is on the passenger side of a LHD vehicle toward the front of the car?
TDC is determined by the notch on the pulley lining up with the crank sensor?

With number 1 on TDC the other cam should have the slot at the rear below the centre line and parallel with the cam cover gasket surface of the head.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I changed the title of your thread. "Just to be sure" won't get the right people here...

With any luck one of the guys who has done this work will jump in.

timing the camshafts

When you align the crankshaft position center pointer with the balancer TDC mark the #1 piston could be on the compression stroke or the exhaust stroke depending on the camshaft position for that bank.
TDCPntr.jpg

The easiest way to check is to see if the timing slot (for both camshafts) is below the axis of the camshaft and horizontal to the surface of the head that mates with the valve cover.
cam1.jpg

When you align the crankshaft position center pointer with the balancer TDC mark the piston could be on the compression stroke or the exhaust stroke depending on the camshaft position for that bank.

The easiest way to check is to see if the timing slot (for both camshafts) is below the axis of the camshaft and horizontal to the surface of the head that mates with the valve cover.

Thanks Rick. That is how I set it up.

I was a bit concerned because I always thought No.1 on a V engine was the leading cylinder, the one sticking out the most at the front but that's not the case with this engine.

I'm about to fit a replacement engine to my '97 limited, the old engine out of my '97 XLT.

I replaced the timing chains and did something wrong and bent some valves.
The head was repaired and sent back to me with marks to line up so the cam timing was right but the mark came off the cam.

So, number 1 cylinder is on the passenger side of a LHD vehicle toward the front of the car?
TDC is determined by the notch on the pulley lining up with the crank sensor?

With number 1 on TDC the other cam should have the slot at the rear below the centre line and parallel with the cam cover gasket surface of the head.

If its a SOHC your going to have to make sure the lobe's on the cam are set up propperly like for example #1 is on compression stroke so intake lobe just finished rolling over and exhaust is on its way over, and samething on other bank, once your sure on that make sure the to notices on the back of the cam are level with the HEAD no the block with the HEAD its on an angel and can play tricks with your eye's.
At least thats all i did to make sure everything was good, i did make my own timing marks and such

Thanks for your help everybody.

I took the right side cam cover to be sure that No.1 was TDC on compression, and it wasn't.
It's all good now, I hope.

Back