just wondering about SOHC timing chain | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

just wondering about SOHC timing chain

ericg27

Reaction score
City, State
NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Limited
Recently the timing chain on my explorer broke :(, I was very sad seeing as I only had the truck for 8 months. I just want to know what could have caused it to break (or slip, not sure what it did :/).

I have a friend telling me that he thinks off roading may have caused it... I'm not sure if I can buy that. It happened right when I turned on my car and I reved it to 5500 RPM.

Just want to know what your opinions are on what could have caused it, I had gotten an oil change in January and went pretty hard offroading right before that. I noticed the timing rattle (didn't know what it was at the time) about 2-3 weeks after the oil change.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The SOHC engine is notorious for timing chain tensioner failures, especially on the earlier ones(the engine first appeared in the Explorers in 1997) If you were offroading and have consistenly hit high rpms in general, it probably contributed. You say you noticed the rattle after the oil change, about 2-3 weeks?

How many miles are on yours, etc.? I'm pushing 204k in my '97 with the SOHC, and everything is original....from reading on the forums i've concluded either mine is extremely blessed, or else the recall was done before i bought it(The SOHC was recalled...but I think it is long expired.)

Many poeple will likely chime in...but it can be a costly repair....many owners will swap in a new engine entirely, as the price tag is roughly equal.

I had this same thing happen about a month after I bought mine. While driving, the chain slipped about 1 tooth and then it would not start. Took it to a mechanic and they spent about a week looking at it and pulling it out and found it was not salvagable.

I would say 8-9 times out of 10, your going to have to replace the motor when the chain slips/brakes. The motor is an interference motor and its very easy to damage it if the timing isn't perfect.

The cause is usually the plastic guides wear easily and break, and that will cause a rattle/knock type noise. When I bought mine, the dealer told me he took it to Ford and had them look at the knock/rattle and was told it was a sticky lifter/valve.

I just spent $2,500 to have a mechanic replace the motor with one from a scrap yard.

If you rev any motor to 5500 rpm right after starting it you're going to do damage. Whether it's excessive premature wear on engine parts or it just comes apart, damage is going to happen. Live and learn. $$$$

The SOHC engine is notorious for timing chain tensioner failures, especially on the earlier ones(the engine first appeared in the Explorers in 1997) If you were offroading and have consistenly hit high rpms in general, it probably contributed. You say you noticed the rattle after the oil change, about 2-3 weeks?
yeah mine was a 1998 SOHC. I went off-roading end of December and got the oil change in early January. I did hit some high rpms a few times so that the fan belt had to be cooled. around end of January was when I noticed the rattle on idle and a loud rattle when I would first start the car.

H
ow many miles are on yours, etc.? I'm pushing 204k in my '97 with the SOHC, and everything is original....from reading on the forums i've concluded either mine is extremely blessed, or else the recall was done before i bought it(The SOHC was recalled...but I think it is long expired.)
It was about 176*** pushing 177k.

Many poeple will likely chime in...but it can be a costly repair....many owners will swap in a new engine entirely, as the price tag is roughly equal.
Yeah and that is what I hate, I want to keep the car, but labor alone in putting in the engine is just too much for me... I can't afford it.

I had this same thing happen about a month after I bought mine. While driving, the chain slipped about 1 tooth and then it would not start. Took it to a mechanic and they spent about a week looking at it and pulling it out and found it was not salvagable.

I would say 8-9 times out of 10, your going to have to replace the motor when the chain slips/brakes. The motor is an interference motor and its very easy to damage it if the timing isn't perfect.

The cause is usually the plastic guides wear easily and break, and that will cause a rattle/knock type noise. When I bought mine, the dealer told me he took it to Ford and had them look at the knock/rattle and was told it was a sticky lifter/valve.

I just spent $2,500 to have a mechanic replace the motor with one from a scrap yard.

yeah, mechanic told me my engine was gone, but like I said, I just do not have the money to fix this. :( so I guess I can try and get as much as I can for it and buy something else. To bad, I loved that car.

rattle warning

. . . around end of January was when I noticed the rattle on idle and a loud rattle when I would first start the car. . .

The rattle is the warning. If you ignore the rattle eventually the rattling chain will slip. For the lucky owner's the chain slips a small amount and the engine will run rough or not start. Then only timing components have to be replaced. Often the chain slips a lot and the pistons strike the valves. It is a gamble to continue to run the engine once the rattle starts. Some owners have been able to continue driving for a hundred thousand miles. You weren't one of the lucky ones.

yep..I've been very lucky. It's had a slight rattle for well over 120K miles (has 169K now), but it's not getting any worse. I'm going to keep driving it till it blows up, but the way this truck is going, that won't be for a long time!

I'm lucky too!! I just bought a 1999 exelent conditions for $2,100 interiors and the outside looks great. The owner herd the rattle and stoped it right away. brought a mechanic to chek it out. And the mechanic told him that it was the timing chains. And the complete set original would cost about 600.00 plus the labor. I got the truck and it was only the front ones I already changed them with help from my Brother in law. I've spent about 800.00 with some other parts i decided to change now that everything is out. Like the thermostat housing. It was leaking from the upper hose and i guess the owner didn't find the leak. And it damage the screws and the housing. Got it for 84.00 on Rockauto.com and some other stuff that are worth changing. I will be saving some money and get ready tu pull the motor to replace tha rear ones :) when the time comes. The engine is clean the valve cover was really clean. so You decide what you wanna do. Good luck. And of course if you do rough driving got to be ready for this kinds of stuff lol. Take care

Back