K&N Drop In & Drilled Airbox | Page 2 | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

K&N Drop In & Drilled Airbox

trj360

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT SOHC
:ttiwwp:
Can you post some pictures of the (2)2" holes please, I just want to see the location. I am in need of a new filter at the moment and had been debating just going with a drop in or some a lil more pricey. Thanks

Same here...this sounds interesting.

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

bcboy4ca

Reaction score
City, State
Chilliwack, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
:ttiwwp:
Can you post some pictures of the (2)2" holes please, I just want to see the location. I am in need of a new filter at the moment and had been debating just going with a drop in or some a lil more pricey. Thanks

I could probably arrange some pictures. I am going to probably drill one more hole anyways. It may have to wait a day or so, I am doing both upper control arms and both lower ball joints tonight :(.

Also check out this thread http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153122&highlight=swiss+gutter+screen this has to be the cleanest looking custom air box mod I have seen.

<

JCsEvo

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 XLT
Thanks I'll take a look at that one.

Did you do the mesh that he did with your holes?

<

bcboy4ca

Reaction score
City, State
Chilliwack, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
Thanks I'll take a look at that one.

Did you do the mesh that he did with your holes?

No I haven't but after looking at that thread I may use a dremel and some mesh and try to re-create what he made.

<

bcboy4ca

Reaction score
City, State
Chilliwack, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
Ok so here is something that I photoshopped for you guys, pardon the quality it was the only pic I could find.

AIRBOX.jpg

I hope this helps to clear up some questions.

<

JCsEvo

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 XLT
NICE! that is what i was looking for. so why do i need to take the "red" part off? do i leave it off?

<

bcboy4ca

Reaction score
City, State
Chilliwack, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
NICE! that is what i was looking for. so why do i need to take the "red" part off? do i leave it off?

You don't have to remove it. If you do remove the air horn/silencer it creates a bigger hole for air to be sucked in and gives the vehicle a "throatier" sound under heavy acceleration. You should be able to remove it without damaging it so if you don't like the results you can put it back in.

<

trj360

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT SOHC
You don't have to remove it. If you do remove the air horn/silencer it creates a bigger hole for air to be sucked in and gives the vehicle a "throatier" sound under heavy acceleration. You should be able to remove it without damaging it so if you don't like the results you can put it back in.

It just pops out without creating other issues? And are the places shown in the picture the best place to drill the holes?

<

bcboy4ca

Reaction score
City, State
Chilliwack, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
It just pops out without creating other issues? And are the places shown in the picture the best place to drill the holes?

Mine just popped out and it didn't create any issues just a better sound. I drilled the holes on the sides that dont face the engine to try and draw in cooler air. I drilled a total of 5 holes, the ones that are shown in the pic plus one on the side of the air box that goes against the fender.

<

99ex22

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Wilsonville, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 5.0L 4x4 Eddie Bauer
how do you get the dang box out of there? I cant get it out.

EDIT: I figured it out

<

celly

disturber of the peace
Reaction score
City, State
calgary
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 eb 5.0 awd
how do you get the dang box out of there? I cant get it out.

EDIT: I figured it out

LOL, I remember the first time I took out an airbox to do an intake. I was cussing, big time. :cool:

<

97sprt4x4

Reaction score
City, State
Jerz
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 Mazda3 GT
might be a bad way... but when i put my intake in, i just took the grab and pull.... real hard method. worked for me and didn't snap any connectors... i think it all depends on how old it is and how long it's been stuck. :D

<

99ex22

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Wilsonville, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 5.0L 4x4 Eddie Bauer
fyi other members I wedged a flat head screw driver under the lower box and it popped right out.

<

whiteX

Reaction score
City, State
Merrillville, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 limited
does removing the air slicencer include the part inside the airbox too?

im having trouble gettin it off.

<

bcboy4ca

Reaction score
City, State
Chilliwack, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
does removing the air slicencer include the part inside the airbox too?

im having trouble gettin it off.

Mine came out as one piece.

<

whiteX

Reaction score
City, State
Merrillville, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 limited
is there any other way to get it out besides taking the airbox out? i tryed the flathead screwdriver like someone else said but it just put holes in it.

<

celly

disturber of the peace
Reaction score
City, State
calgary
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 eb 5.0 awd
is there any other way to get it out besides taking the airbox out? i tryed the flathead screwdriver like someone else said but it just put holes in it.

Try to get under it and wedge it out with your tool. It's held in by two large plugs which hold it in place quite snugly. The larger the screwdriver, the better. Takes some good leverage to free it.

<

whiteX

Reaction score
City, State
Merrillville, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 limited
ive got it lose but i dont have enough clearence to get it out. I would take the air box out but knowing this truck something else would break off.

<