K&N Drop In & Drilled Airbox | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

K&N Drop In & Drilled Airbox

:ttiwwp:
Can you post some pictures of the (2)2" holes please, I just want to see the location. I am in need of a new filter at the moment and had been debating just going with a drop in or some a lil more pricey. Thanks

Same here...this sounds interesting.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:ttiwwp:
Can you post some pictures of the (2)2" holes please, I just want to see the location. I am in need of a new filter at the moment and had been debating just going with a drop in or some a lil more pricey. Thanks

I could probably arrange some pictures. I am going to probably drill one more hole anyways. It may have to wait a day or so, I am doing both upper control arms and both lower ball joints tonight :(.

Also check out this thread http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153122&highlight=swiss+gutter+screen this has to be the cleanest looking custom air box mod I have seen.

Thanks I'll take a look at that one.

Did you do the mesh that he did with your holes?

Thanks I'll take a look at that one.

Did you do the mesh that he did with your holes?

No I haven't but after looking at that thread I may use a dremel and some mesh and try to re-create what he made.

Ok so here is something that I photoshopped for you guys, pardon the quality it was the only pic I could find.

AIRBOX.jpg

I hope this helps to clear up some questions.

NICE! that is what i was looking for. so why do i need to take the "red" part off? do i leave it off?

NICE! that is what i was looking for. so why do i need to take the "red" part off? do i leave it off?

You don't have to remove it. If you do remove the air horn/silencer it creates a bigger hole for air to be sucked in and gives the vehicle a "throatier" sound under heavy acceleration. You should be able to remove it without damaging it so if you don't like the results you can put it back in.

You don't have to remove it. If you do remove the air horn/silencer it creates a bigger hole for air to be sucked in and gives the vehicle a "throatier" sound under heavy acceleration. You should be able to remove it without damaging it so if you don't like the results you can put it back in.

It just pops out without creating other issues? And are the places shown in the picture the best place to drill the holes?

It just pops out without creating other issues? And are the places shown in the picture the best place to drill the holes?

Mine just popped out and it didn't create any issues just a better sound. I drilled the holes on the sides that dont face the engine to try and draw in cooler air. I drilled a total of 5 holes, the ones that are shown in the pic plus one on the side of the air box that goes against the fender.

how do you get the dang box out of there? I cant get it out.

EDIT: I figured it out

how do you get the dang box out of there? I cant get it out.

EDIT: I figured it out

LOL, I remember the first time I took out an airbox to do an intake. I was cussing, big time. :cool:

might be a bad way... but when i put my intake in, i just took the grab and pull.... real hard method. worked for me and didn't snap any connectors... i think it all depends on how old it is and how long it's been stuck. :D

fyi other members I wedged a flat head screw driver under the lower box and it popped right out.

does removing the air slicencer include the part inside the airbox too?

im having trouble gettin it off.

does removing the air slicencer include the part inside the airbox too?

im having trouble gettin it off.

Mine came out as one piece.

is there any other way to get it out besides taking the airbox out? i tryed the flathead screwdriver like someone else said but it just put holes in it.

is there any other way to get it out besides taking the airbox out? i tryed the flathead screwdriver like someone else said but it just put holes in it.

Try to get under it and wedge it out with your tool. It's held in by two large plugs which hold it in place quite snugly. The larger the screwdriver, the better. Takes some good leverage to free it.

ive got it lose but i dont have enough clearence to get it out. I would take the air box out but knowing this truck something else would break off.

Back